Thread: Broadcasting

Question Broadcasting

Does anyone know how to "broadcast" admin messages to all clients on a network? I've got NT OS on my servers and all my clients have WIN2K for their OS. I'd like to be able to broadcast admin messages across my network but haven't found a way to do so. However, I can do one machine at a time but that's not feasible. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    @lm!ghty

For winNT I dunno, but you could try the command "net send" (you can send a msg to every machine on a specific domain), I know that win2k has it, but not sure about NT. You can allways try it if you haven't already. type "net send /help" for a description....

It's not much but I hope it helps...

Ninja Code Monkey
    net send works on winnt, it also works on 9x systems but you have to use an app to send/recieve messages.

The problem with net send is the box that pops up with the message is modal which can screw up things (like certain forms of automation).
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

Just for kicks back in high school I made a batch file that would execute an endless loop of net sends. It’s always a funny joke to play on your friends and to see the expression on their face when the screen fills up with 300 message boxes is priceless.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

from win2k net send /HELP

NET SEND {name | * | /DOMAIN[:name] | /USERS} message

Sends messages to other users, computers, or messaging names
    on the network. The Messenger service must be running to receive messages.

You can send a message only to an name that is active on the network.
    If the message is sent to a username, that user must be logged on
    and running the Messenger service to receive the message.

name Is the username, computername, or messaging name
    to send the message to. If the name is a
    computername that contains blank characters,
    enclose the alias in quotation marks (" ").
    * Sends the message to all the names in your group.
    /DOMAIN[:name] Sends the message to all the names in the
    workstation domain. If name is specified, the
    message is sent to all the names in the specified
    domain or workgroup.
    /USERS Sends the message to all users connected to
    the server.
    message Is text to be sent as a message.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I downloaded an andmonistrator pack for win XP at the MS site. It's an expansion of the networking ability's of WinXP. Maybe there's also one for NT or 2K?
    Bleh.

One thing to keep in mind is that it the message box tells you what computer the message came form. So net send is not for lamer purposes.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Talking Domo Arigato!

Thanks for the input I'll try this at work today and see how it goes. cwk9, thanks for the warning but I wouldn't dare bite the hand that feeds me by doing something stupid like that at work!
    @lm!ghty

There is a command called "For"
    A friend of mine once showed me how to write a small script that allowed him to send out
    messages to all his users, but again it was for administrative purpose. This isnt smart to do maliciously since it TELLS everyone where it is comig from.
    Now I am not up on the Gist of the commands on how he did it because it was a long time ago, and I dont quite remember what the specifics were. You will have to do some research and thinking, But I can get you started.
    just type for /? in a dos window on windows machines
    you want it to do a net view to see who is in your domain
    then take the info by using a delimiter (/) to skip the first 3 lines of the output from net send (it has to be parsed into memory, again see the command list)
    then it does net send (token) message
    it will go to all machines online.
    Sorry if this was confusing, I did this from work and dont really have the time to look into it, otherwise I would give you the full answer...
    but hey, isnt that what this place is for? learning??

Wink It worked but..

Now i'm wondering if there's a way to keep my users from using this wonderful tool of "net send" I'd hate to have a bunch of chaos and pandemonium happening across my domain.
    @lm!ghty