Thread: New profile

New profile

I found a better idea than my last one. My suggestion is:
    In the profile of every AO's user to be some blanks aking users for what OS they use, Internet Broswer, their computer and some other details about their hardware and software they have.
    Also my suggestion has some advantages and some disantages;-) :
    Advantages
    • Is very useful for the forum of Bugs, because i have seen many times people asking others for their OS, Internet Broswer and their computer.
    • Maybe some guys will see that an OS is the best and change their OS.

Disadvantages
    • Is there any disadvantage;-) ?
    Last edited by ASPII on Then at 0 BC

Ninja Code Monkey
    Bleh, disadvantages are that you are telling ever little script monkey the details of your system.....details that they DO NOT need to know.

Also there is no one best operating system.

That information would be helpful if collected for bugs but a better implementation would be to simply have those fields in the oops I found a bug section and do NOT display them to everyone else when submitted.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

Re: New profile

[*]Is very useful for the forum of Bugs, because i have seen many times people asking others for their OS, Internet Broswer and their computer.
    As Juridian said, it would only be useful if the information is right there alongside the post.

Actually, most people who report bugs in the Oops! forum do report what they run. It's the people who ask for help with things not related to AO who tend only to say:

My computer crashes! Help me fix it, please.
    Those are the people who need to specify what they have. People are not going to bother checking what hard/software you run if you are the one asking for help ... it's not they who need you.

Cheers,

BrainStop
    "To estimate the time it takes to do a task, estimate the time you think it should take, multiply by two, and change the unit of measure to the next highest unit. Thus we allocate two days for a one-hour task." -- Westheimer's Rule

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Gee, why not have everyone post their real name, address, and phone number while they are at it. Oh yeah, and it all has to be verified before you get an account (ie, copy of your drivers license, birth certificate, and phone call from JP). Would their be a problem with that?

Besides, what if you run more then 1 OS? I have computers ranging from 80386 to P4 2.2Ghz. OS's from Win3.11 to XP home. Not to mention imacs, LC3's, linux boxes, solaris boxes, SCO, FreeBSD, etc. And then their are the propritary OS's that I have to deal with on machines in our plant. So you better make a hell of a lot of lines in their.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Then souleman he/she will write the one that he/she use more.
    Last edited by ASPII on Then at 0 BC

Then souleman he/she will write the one that he/she use more.
    That would defeat the purpose of knowing the OS when someone is reporting a bug ... because what if it's happening to his secondary OS?

BrainStop
    "To estimate the time it takes to do a task, estimate the time you think it should take, multiply by two, and change the unit of measure to the next highest unit. Thus we allocate two days for a one-hour task." -- Westheimer's Rule

Banned
    Greetings All:

Ok, we've added the following fields to the profiles:

List all operating systems that you have expertise in

Skill Set:
    Which of the following skills have you used in the past (list all that apply): network administration, penetration testing, vulnerability assessment, vulnerability documentation/coding, forensic analysis, exploitive techniques, programming

Work Experience:
    In What Domains have you applied your skill set (list all):Government (local), Government (regional or national), National Defense, Industry (small business), Industry (medium to large business), Education (high school), Education (university)

Your Current Box:
    List the specs of your current computer. Tell us what you have under the hood!

Thanks for the suggestion!