Lindows preview 2

Thread: Lindows preview 2

Lightbulb Lindows preview 2

Well the second preview is ready for anyone willing to pony up 90 bucks to see it. The click-n-run feature is put on display in version 2. It's a new way for your operating system vendor to keep an eye on what you're doing. (It seems that way to me, anyway)

See http://www.lindows.com/lindows_michaelsminutes.php

I still like the idea of something dethroning M$.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

AntiOnline Senior Member
    I really have always thought Lindows was a great idea and am all for it... Lets see what happens with it!
    [shadow]uraloony, Founder of Loony Services[/shadow]
    Visit us at
    [gloworange]http://www.loonyservices.com/[/gloworange]

KorpDeath, you might be right. To me this sounds like an all-bad solution...

Let's say the people behind Lindows will make this an open standard, and others could make use of the technology. In that case the "on click download and install" would be a truly bad idea. Think of all the opportunites for hackers and the like who want to get control over others pcs. They could get an application running on your box just by tricking you to click somewhere you shouldn't. Haha, "single click will download and install", not even MS would dare something like that.

But what if they made this a proprietary client-server solution, so that the functionality would work only with Lindows creators' servers. The Lindows creators would get like full control of most of their customers. And they can choose what products to put on the server. If they want to sell a product, they could put that on the server. If a competitor wants to sell a similar product, Lindows can decide NOT to put that on the server.

But as long as it's easy to use..... ;-)
    ---
    proactive

Originally posted here by proactive
    KorpDeath, you might be right. To me this sounds like an all-bad solution...

Let's say the people behind Lindows will make this an open standard, and others could make use of the technology. In that case the "on click download and install" would be a truly bad idea. Think of all the opportunites for hackers and the like who wants to get control over others pc's. They could get an application running on your box just by tricking you to click somewhere you shouldn't. Haha, "single click will download and install", not even MS would dare something like that.

But what if they made this a proprietary client-server solution, so that the functionality would work only with Lindows creators' servers. The Lindows creators would get like full control of most of their customers. And they can choose what products to put on the server. If they want to sell a product, they could put that on the server. If a competitor want's to sell a similar product, Lindows can decide NOT to put that on the server.

But as long as it's easy to use..... ;-)
    And as long as it gives M$ a run for it's money.

I personally would not use that 'feature'. I happen to enjoy the install process for applications, cause I get to choose where it goes and what it installs.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    90 dollars to beta test someones product is kinda crazy. They reall are learning from MS, although then you pay $200 to beta test their product.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

humz i don't wanna pay for testversions
    hip hop rules

cant wait till the full version comes out. Sounds like it will be kinda cool. I agree with you guys dont want to pay for test versions. I have heard it is pretty stable for a test version though.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

Whoah whoah whoah... click=download+install+quietly? The whole reason to migrate AWAY from windows (in my mind) is to escape this kind of everpresent crud!
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency