Thread: The sky is falling!

The sky is falling!

Here's an interesting article.

http://www.vnunet.com/Features/1130773

I think we should send this writer a link to this site. Sounds like he gets too much from the industry movers and shakers and not enough REAL info from the grunts that use the stuff.

Anybody have anything to add?
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Korp, send him the link he needs a wake-up call.
    \"SI JE PUIS\"

TechieChick
    His attitude is vaguely reminiscent of half my users.

Obviously he's not reading "deep" enough to find the fixes, patches and work arounds that those of us in the trenches know about.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Well, you can always tell a media person. Can I just kick him in the nose? Please?
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Well, I fired off an email to the dude. Next I'm gonna send him a link to this thread so he can see what the 'troops' think of his article.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    What we "think" of his article? If we wrote it completely and truthfully, they guy may just have a nervous breakdown.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

I was still seeing IIS unicode attacks being demonstrated months after the patch had come out!

just cut this from my log:

2002-04-11 16:16:36 x.x.x.x - x.x.x.x 80 GET /default.ida NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN%u9090%u6858%ucbd3%u7801%u9090%u6858%ucbd3%u7801%u9090%u6858%ucbd3%u7801%u9090%u9090%u8190%u00c3%u0003%u8b00%u531b%u53ff%u0078%u0000%u00=a 200 -
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Exclamation

From the article at: http://www.vnunet.com/Features/1130773

The real news here is that if you maintain systems properly, you are not going to be insecure. It is not technology specific and there is no point in making an example of one particular technology when most companies know if implemented properly, it can be used securely.
    This is not true. You have to stay on top and ahead of the technology to keep it secure. For everyone of us attempting to harden a networks security, you have others that are attempting to break it. Plenty of unscrupulous charachters out in the world live only to find holes in our systems. Thats what they live for. Every time an new OS is released or a new patch for any type of system. You better believe every black hat in the world is looking to crack it. With wireless it becomes even more troublesome. It deals less with physical security that cables provide and more with who or what can intercept and read those signals in the air. I think this guy is way off. Wireless is a problem. So is all the network technology out there. You have to stay on it and patch, patch, patch.........

Nuff said..........
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

Yes but sound implementations are still possible. When you don't try and make the technology do something it wasn't designed to do. Use technology the way it was designed and you'll have very few, if any issues.

Example- Wireless is inherently insecure because it is being 'sprayed' everywhere. So you limit the number of wireless access points and their power. And use VPN to secure the communication between the client and the hard wired network.

That's not a solution looking for a problem, that's just a sound way of implementing wireless.

Am I rambling? I think I'm rambling..........but I digress.
    - Samuel Johnson

Here is an interesting article regarding wireless networking.

http://www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,...a=23806,00.asp

And this one as well.

http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn...c.xml?0215fram
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.