Deleting WIn 98
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deleting WIn 98

Deleting WIn 98

alright heres my problem. I think my computer iz getting pretty slow because i have windows xp and windows 98 on the same system, on a dual boot. I waz wondering how i could uninstall or delete windows 98 without having any problems with the boot sequence or my win xp
    XPaCiScOoL

[glowpurple]\"Your Smallest Flaw is my greatest Strength.\" - Me[/glowpurple]

Having 2 partitions with different operating systems on them in no way affects the performance of you computer.
    Its not software piracy. Iím just making multiple off site backups.

Banned
    Start Windows XP and right click on My Computer and go to Advanced, then click on startup and recovery... Click on XP as the default OS and dont display list of Operating Systems.. Then just do a format X: /autotest

Where X=the drive Win98 is on

Or you could get two partitions. Get Windows 98 on both (since you already have the OS disk). Back up your files to one of the OSes, delete windows 98 on the one that doesnt have the back up files. Then, install Windows XP on the one you just dismounted 98 from. Then, move your files back to the XP one and then delete the second particion.
    -{[ Joe ]}- (Joe@nitesecurity.com)
    http://www.nitesecurity.com

[shadow]I\'m Just A Soldier In This War Against Ignorance.[/shadow]

Banned
    Unless winXp install intself over win98, you will have two partitions.
    Like acidspectrum said, delete the partition which win98 resides.
    Use a proggy like Partition Magic to remove it.... (or go with good ol' Fdisk )
    Then remove the bootloader with either PM or fdisk /mbr!

Hope this helps!

Banned
    btw...

X-Pac Sucks! X-Pac Sucks!

Like Kane said, it's a fact of life!

One more thing, make sure you copy the files into a briefcase because copying them into a folder, for some scr3wed reAs0n in windows creates shortcuts only. So when you use that little Partition Magic or do the method I said to do and you back to your little folder its gonna say "Whatever file.ink" refers to is unavailable yaddy yaddy ya. But just a word of caution.

You'd probably do better to delete WinXP and keep Win98(upgrade to W98se, though)...but yes, as they have said...fdisk it...

Ouroboros
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

In my opinion XP is much more stable then 98SE. Heres my sinario coming through your stereo (just had to say that):

I have DSL on SE. Everytime I turn my comp on, five hours to load, then, it restarts! Wtf is that? Im not going to have that.
    -------------------------------------------
    I have XP. Everytime I turn my comp on, five seconds to load, then, it works! Wtf is that? Stabibilty, my dear Watson, stabability.

You are full of holes, Mr. Holmes, full of holes. You also seem to take up 75 percent of the room! WTF is that?.... Most MS OS's are resource hogs, but pick one that balances functionality with economy(system)...
    And hey, if you can get all the patches and run your OS without flaw, more power to you, but make sure you keep an eye on your system consumption...when you no longer need to run a RAM-freeing program, you are in the black as far as operating potential is concerned.

Ouroboros
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor