Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Perfect Government

The Perfect Government

The government is blamed for most of what goes wrong in its respective country, and often rightfully so. Apparently, nobody can get this whole government business right. So I was wondering, if you could create the perfect government, what would it be like?

Or, is the term 'perfect government' an oxymoron. Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. Does that guaranteee that any and every government will have its corrupt officials? If so, how would you work around that?

*Note: I'll post my idea for the government whenever I get around to writing it.
    Why am I still here?

Thumbs up

Piece of cake.
    I figured this one out years ago.
    I'm just waiting for everyone else to see the light.
    Of course, people would have to make sacrifices,
    but if you will give all power to me, I promise
    to give you Perfect Government ...oops, wrong speech.
    He, he, that was the speech I was preparing for
    the "Skinhead Convention"

Seriously, I would be happy with a government
    that had less ambitious goals.
    I'd like to see efficient administration of a few
    well-chosen responsibilities instead of an
    ever-growing list of vague promises, never honored.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

When I read the paper (online and printed), I get bloody frustrated cos like the first 3 or 4 stories are usually always about the country's government. It bloody annoys me. I mean they are meant to be in control of the country and yet they have soooo many problems and there's always talk about cover-ups and all other crap.

So, basically, I think a sign of a 'near perfect government' would be that when you open up to read the paper, there are NO articles about the government. Maybe occasionally, like ones a week they'd say something in the paper, but not 5 articles every bloody day.

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

Well, I am a fascist, so I think the power should be focused onto one man. "rcgreen" is my candidate anyway.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    You'll never find or create a perfect government. If you want to see that activity in action on a small scale, check out the game Pyroto Mountain.

As long as their are varied opinions what you view as perfect will be imperfect to some. And never the twain shall meet unfortunately. We go into situations with our own assumptions, experiences and biases on a regular basises. Sometimes we register them, sometimes we don't.

It's not that power corrupts (some do get corrupted) but there are some governments who trully believe they are doing the right thing. They do not consider any other opinions. It is not a corruption but rather blind faith into what they believe is the true choice. I speak of this due to a few too many years in politics (behind the scenes rather than in front). I got tired of it and have become pretty apolitical.

By the way, if you do go to the game be forewarned. It's pretty agressive and is not for everyone. And if you do join, send me a PM here. I'll tell ya who I am.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

There isn't and nor will there ever will be a perfect government. There will always be people with authority and power that abuse their privledges. There's no avoiding it. For that reason alone there will always be problems. Some one with the political power will abuse it for personal gain, torment of select individuals, and other things as well. It's just not possible to create a group to rule the rest of society with out problems.. there for a 'perfect' government cannot exist.

Remote_Access_

Like they've been saying, there won't be a perfrect government... They even tell you that in several movies...

The Matrix (The Original One - Not The One The Movie Is In ) failed at first because they had it be a land where everyone was perfectly happy..., I don't even think there was a government, just perfectly happy people... :0 They couldn't stand it, and didn't belive in the world they..., uhhh, lived in... It failed horribly... The people needed to live by going through troubles, and learning to deal with them... Well, if you want this explained better, go watch the movie... It's by the part where Morpheous (I think?) is caught and being interograted by the Agents...

-Tim_axe

Yeah Tim, I remember that.

Alright, apparently everyone is in agreement that the perfect government just can't happen. But can you improve on what we already have? I'm assuming people agree that democracy is the best. But can you improve on what we have here in the U.S., Europe, etc.? I, for one, would abolish the party system. Voters and politicians act because of a title, i.e. Republican, instead of an idea or opinion. Candidates should each submit a page listing their stance on such issues as Foreign Policy, Health Care, Education, etc. This page would be sent to all voters and would also be available in the voting booths.
    Why am I still here?

This is my idea of the perfect government:

"In the days to come the mountain of the Lord's house shall be established as the highest of the mountains, and shall be raised above the hills; all the nations shall stream to it. Many peoples shall come and say, 'Come, let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; that he may teach us his ways and that we may walk in his paths.' For out of Zion shall go forth instruction, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem. He shall judge between the nations, and shall arbitrate for many peoples; they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more "(Isaiah 2:2-4 New Revised Standard Version).

This is from the Book of Isaiah in the Old Testament of the Bible. It's a prediction of the government God will bring about on the Earth one day.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Monarchy or Dictatorship are about as close as you are going to get. A true democracy can't exist.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman