Thread: Resume..... Li-nux? Whatsa dat?

Banned

Talking Resume..... Li-nux? Whatsa dat?

I just love going places and giving my resume and having people look over it during an interview process and say those magical words....

Li-Nux? Whatsa dat?

Then I have to explain how in 1990, Linus took unix and make a kernel to work at home...

then they say, what's you-nix?

That's when I know I have to say simply... it's like windows but not.
    (Don't flame, I know it's not the best comparison - only way they'll come to some conclusion)

Then they ask something like what's wrong with windows or something....
    turns into quite a *fun* conversation.....

BTW, also like it when people see my penguin shirt and start to laugh at the fact I have a penguin on it, until I correct them....

Power to the Penguin!

I know excatly what your saying my boss use's Windows 98 se to run his small business I told him about the security issues with microsoft his reply was the guy at best buy said it has excellent security and their's nothing to worry about. I just LOL for real. He then asked me what would you get? And i told him something similar to Unix. He told me they sucked. Now I know he is totally computer illiterate. And I bet he even has NETBIOS Wide open hahaha. I tryed to help him out. But he knows all. Windows = weak security!

That’s why you have all those certs; to impress non tech guys that are in charge of hiring.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

I have similar problems at school... many of my classmates just stare at me for a while... "linux? What's that? Is it a Microsoft Product?" Then, because I am such a nice maniac, I don't snap and murder them, I explain to them (in great detail) what Linux is, what Unix is, where they both started, what the advantages are, why Linux should control the destop market, etc, etc...

**I love Linux!**
    Welcome to Hell , where we have served more than all of the fast food chains put together! And the number grows everyday! Stay tuned!

Some Reality issues number one your resume gets an interview, this may mean Human Resources..they screen what I need. One can throw out much in such an interview. Reality is if I were to hire you, I would ask you what asset Linux is and how can you support it to say 50 engineers as I do make it point and click and it works? Production is the name of the game their time is billable and they need computers to do it. Can you post Cook, Elete, a host of programs to Linux? Is this a viable OS yes!!! But remember if you are gonna be IS or IT or as I title myself an OSG (On Site Geek)..remember it is not that you know Lunix..it more of a question of how you make it work where your gonna go. Not that we do not know of it..question is we may save on the OS but how many geeks am I gonna need :-) sorry old hat here to lazy to add the cute faces thing :-) <---SEE LOL
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Banned
    I'm not talking about trying to get hired in a computer firm or something in that relation. Of course I'd expect someone in that department to understand what Linux is (To some extent)

I'm talking about places like Futureshop (Believe me, some are oblivious to what it is), Small computer shops, businesses looking for webhosting, and of all, Police Services!

Linux isnt always the answer
    MAny small networks run on windoze boxes for the simple fact of resorces
    many people are willing to shell $ on an os an sacrifice proficency when it means if something goes wrong they can ge there niegbors kids to fix it
    ive got a friend that calls me an "inferior computer user" becuase i run Slackware instead of XP
    Idiots......

If you tell me Curiosity Killed the cat,
    Then I say he died a noble death.