Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: deleting desktop items

deleting desktop items

I suppose this is a stupid question, but here goes.

My desktop is nearly full, mostly with zipped files I've d/l, the programmes have been installed, can I safely remove the desktop files to give me more room for any other progs I may want to d/l, if so this will save me having to alter the settings to make things smaller.

I ask because when I go to delete a message comes up along the lines that the prog might not work if I remove it.

cheers,
    sir henry.

If you get a message saying that the program might not work, check in control panel to see if you can uninstall it there. Just go to Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs and then look for it there. This method completely removes the program from your PC.

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

for my 0.002 cents...
    Don't download to ya desktop...

Recommended (this is assuming Windows xxx) create a folder in "My Documents" and call it (suprise) "Downloads".. Now if you want to be realy organised.. in this folder create a few others.. start with "Security Patches", "AO - Tutorials", "Toolz" .........
    but if you mustput it all on ya desktop, Create a Folder on ya desktop and call it "Downloads" and move ya downloads there.
    The error message is typical of Windoze.. it will come up if you try to delete any executable file.
    k

Cheers
    [gloworange]the original Und3rtak3r [/gloworange]

Smile

Sir Henry:

This may be incorrect, but I always d/l program files to my desktop. After the d/l process is completed and the virus scan is run, the downloaded file is transferred to a folder called "downloaded programs".
    Just a thought.

Banned
    Im with Undertaker02 on this one.. I just download all my programs either from KaZaA (spyware free ) or when I download from the net I put them in My Documents

Re: deleting desktop items

My desktop is nearly full, mostly with zipped files I've d/l, the programmes have been installed, can I safely remove the desktop files to give me more room for any other progs I may want to d/l, if so this will save me having to alter the settings to make things smaller.

I ask because when I go to delete a message comes up along the lines that the prog might not work if I remove it.

Burn them on a cd or copy and paste them to a folder in your pc.

Zipped files you can delete when you don t need them in the future.

I always save to c downloads and with peer to peer to my documents.

Keep your desk-top space for the important/mutch used appz and games[icons]
    i m gone,thx everyone for so much fun and good info.
    cheers and good bye

I think the poster is talking about the shortcut icons.

You can delete those off your desktop. If you do, your only deleting the shortcut...not the file that it represents.

Zip files that you have unziped can be deleted. shortcut icons can be deleted.you get the error /warning message when you try to delete an .exe file.Rather download to a special folder Remember that all those zip files and shortcuts on your desktop are using valueable mem
    Never miss a good opportunity to shut up.....

just place all the files in a diffrent mapand restart if u get some error message that a program cant find his software place that program back on the destkop uninstal it from you'r configration window and just install it again
    hip hop rules

On March 28th, M$ released a cumulative update, q319182.exe.
    I d/l to desktop, ran virus scan, & cut/pasted file to D: drive, My Downloaded Programs folder,q319182 file. The update was run from there.
    I do *not* keep d/l files on my desktop. Bad.
    When deleting a d/l file that has already been installed, the message "this program *may* not run" no longer slows me down. It seems to be a standard Windows warning message.

This is my $.02 worth.