Windows ME+windows 98 home network

Thread: Windows ME+windows 98 home network

Question Windows ME+windows 98 home network

Im just about to set up a home network, and before i go out and get all the kit i need as in the harware side of things i wanted to cheak the software side of things. I just wanted to ask the people here with a more knowedge here if i can do what i want. I have 2 windows ME boxes and one windows 98, is there any problem haveing windows 98 networked to windows ME? I did quick search on google aready.

There shouldnt be any problems Home Networking an ME box to a 98(se I hope).... If you need any help doing this just send a quick PM to me

I've done it and there is no problem, just ensure you set up all protocols (TCP, IPX, NetBEUI) and I believe that ME has a little built in Home Network proggy that you put for 98.... (look around for it) That should be it!

Almost all protocols are OS independent so the software side of things should be rather painless.
    Its not software piracy. Iím just making multiple off site backups.

You shouldn't have any problems networking 98 to ME, I've done it on multiple systems in my apartment without a hitch.

However, the ME machine is going to want to run it's built in "Home networking Wizard", and then want you to run it on the other machines as well. It's not difficult to do, but can be a hassle with all the rebooting required. But all and all, it's pretty simple, and once you walk through it, you'll have it down in no time. If you have trouble, message me.

Also, as a side note, you don't need all the protocols installed. I'd stick with TCP/IP, and whichever logon client you prefer. (Client for Microsoft Networks should suffice for you, as well as TCP/IP.) Also, you may want to check to make sure you're bindings are set up properly.

Hope this helps,

Well, I have done this before and unlike some of the other members have stated, I did run into some problems. Nothing a little time spent to troubleshoot couldn't take care of; also, at the time I was doing this, I knew some other guys who were having similar troubles. I never did figure out exactly why the problems were happening, I just remember that I had to run through the setups several times and then everything mysteriously worked. In the end, it worked just fine, so you should ensure that of your drivers are installed correctly, protocols installed that are needed, etc as others have already mentioned.

On a side note, I ended up scrapping ME on the machine that it was installed on shortly after I got the network to work - I hated ME in general for all the problems, BSOD's, and unexpected or explained errors.
    - Maverick