Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google getting to 'smart'?

Angry Google getting to 'smart'?

I was just reading a post and it was asking how to edit a scanned pjf pic (I suppose) and I went to the faithful www.google.com and put in search "pjd conversion"... I got back this:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your original search: "pjf conversion" was misspelled and returned 0 results.
    The corrected search: "pdf conversion" was done instead and the results appear below
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How does google know I misspelled it? Maybe I wanted to look for that... Is google getting too 'smart'???

sorry, to clarify... it was a txt scan and the person wants to edit the text.. (a norm pic wouldnt have to be converted to be edited, I know that)

As long as google doesn’t start talking with that creepy HAL voice i'm ok with it.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Well, I think it's a good feature because you'll get 0 results if it didn't fix up your search string anyways. So basically, it's good for people who do actually mispell a word, as without it, they might just accept that there were no results. However, with this, they will realise they mispelled it and they'll hopefully find what they want.

If you didn't mispell it, like in your case, it doesn't really make a difference, cos without the feature, you would have got 0 results. It's hard to explain what I mean, but hopefully you understand.

By the way Tuskin, I like your avatar - very nice.

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

Yep, I think that's a usefull feature, at least for people like myself, because although I know english ( not as good as I wanted ) I mispell a few words....

That is the main reason why I use google over other search engines, even though english is my first language, I couln't spell if my life depended on it
    WWJD
    What Would Jesus Do (For a klondike Bar?)

may be it might be comparing he names untered with its own data base or it might be looking for a match with the meta names provided by the website builders and if it does not match it will give that message.. what else...???

intruder..
    A laptop, internet connection and beer.

Originally posted here by cwk9
    As long as google doesn’t start talking with that creepy HAL voice i'm ok with it.
    'I'm sorry, Dave. I cannot let you do that search."....that'd be really freaky if they programmed that in as a joke, considering my name is david....i can just imagine getting on at 1 in the morning just because of some curiousity and jumping out of my skin after i hear that....

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    I agree with hot_ice. It can be helpful if you accidentally mispell a word. IE/MSN also do this when you type in an internet keyword incorrectly.
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

good points... I was just a little thrown off at first... It seemed a bit cocky... "you misspelled your search" and "The corrected search..." Google's tryin to read my mind. lol Thanks for the opinions... it makes sense. I like my avatar too... (thanks)