Thread: Checkpoint Threshold Numbers

Checkpoint Threshold Numbers

I have read earlier posts that indicate there are some rather experienced CPfw-1 admins out there. I wonder if I might trouble you on a technical question? I'm looking at a SUN Ultra 10 with CPfw-1, what would be you suggestions on the warning threshold settings for; CPU, currently at 70% - Load, currently at 2/sec - Packets, currently at 16/sec - Errors, currently at 2/sec - Context, currently at 32/sec - Swap, currently at 2/sec - Interrupts, currently at 50/sec and Collisions, currently at 2/sec.

I'm just tring to get an understanding of exactly what kind of load is on this box. Any help is certainly appreciated.

You should have posted this in the firewall forum.

But anyway, I am not sure exactly what you are asking. If these are perf stats from your box, you might want to monitor the CPU usage. A snapshot of utilization on a server is not at all any kind of indicator of the server load. You really need to monitor these things over a period of time, perhaps one or two weeks.

If you are still at 70% CPU, that is a bit high. I would recommend no more than a 60% avg utilization, but occasional spikes are nothing to worry about.

Collisions are also not a good thing. Do you have your firewall connected to a hub or a switch?

Also, this is not really a Checkpoint question at all, it is more of a sys admin question, but give some more detail, and I can try to help.

BTW how big is your objects.C file and how big are your rulebases? Also, is management separate from the FW gateways.

iNViCTuS---
    YA I know, I relized what I was asking after I sent it. Anyway, the object.c file is at 136449 and the rulebase.fws file is 107712. I believe there is a router at both the public and private ends. My concern stems from Checkpoint indicating that this box has a maximun of 2000 user, wellllll..... we've reached that value. So from the concole I started the performance meter and was quite alarmed by some of the numbers. The number I indicated above were the thresholds currently set on the box (default). With this box acting as a firewall I was wondering at what point I should become concerned, at what value should they be set. Here are the actual numbers; CPU @30%, Load @1, Packets @1300, Errors @0, Context @1700, Swap @0, Interrupts @1000, Collisions @10. These are visual averages during about an hour of our busiest time.
    Can you making anything out of these numbers, agian you help is appricated.

Well...if this information is accurate, then I would not say you have too much of a problem at this point. However, if you have 2000 users as you say, I can tell you that an Ultra10 is probably a bit small, especially if you are doing logging and management on that box.

I would recommend going with a Nokia IP series appliance to run your FW gateway if you have the budget.

But as the saying goes...if it ain't broke, don't fix it...