Thread: Running Ethereal and nmapNT at the same time on XP

Running Ethereal and nmapNT at the same time on XP

I've had the same problem running Ethereal and nmapNT on both 2k and xp, they both use the WinPcap driver only different versions. The one I use with Ethereal is the new real version and the one with nmapNT is a modified version of it. They both use the packet.dll etc. If I install one, the other util. stops working. I can't seem to have them both installed and working at the same time. I could spend more time further chasing this down, but I guess that's partly what message boards are for. Has anyone reading this gotten the both of them up and running with success at the same time?

nmapNT ??? never heard of that........is this the ported version of fyodor's nmap??

I had the same issue except with Labrea for NT and a sniffer. After agonizing over it for about 3 weeks and speaking with people on both I realized that some things just don't run together on Windows. That's why I scrapped LabreaNT and installed Linux. Since then I've had no conflicts.
    Gotta love Linux.
    Sorry it's not a fix, but......
    America - Land of the free, home of the brave.

Theeta, yes its a Nmap that runs on NT, pretty cool prog. Ive never done both personally...
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

Heck Yeah its a fix. Its the proper fix

I've got a couple other linux partitions and another box, but I think I will just use Ethereal and the one version of WinPcap. I don't really need nmap for much on on windows anyway.

Ok, so both apps use shared DDLs probably located in the c:\winnt\ or c:\winnt\system32\ directories. When you install the first app, it places the shared DLLs in one of the directories mentioned. When you install the second app, it overwrites one or more of the DLLs and makes the first app unusable.

Here's my suggestion: Install the first app, find out which DLLs it inserts into the c:\winnt\ or c:\winnt\system32 directories. Copy the DLLs into the the app's directory (c:\program files\etheral\) and try to run the application. If it doesn't work, ok so this method doesn't work at all . But if it works, you can install the second app, and it's probably gonna work also!

Actually what I'm saying here is that many applications look for shared dll's in their own directory, if they can't find any they will look for them in the system directories. Some apps created with Visual Studio work this way (if I remember correct). But then again there can be other ways.
    ---
    proactive