Time Machine?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time Machine?

Time Machine?

I thought this might be an interesting tidbit for those who enjoy Time and its nuances:

From: http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm...ews.technology

Physics professor confident his time machine will work

A physics professor says he is building a time machine that will transport things to the future or the past.

Ronald Mallett says his machine could transport anything from an atom to a person.

The University of Connecticut professor hopes to have a working model and start experiments this autumn.

He told the Boston Globe he's basing his work on Einstein's theory of relativity.

He says the project is serious and added: "I'm not a nut."

He told the paper: "I would think I was a crackpot, too, if there weren't other colleagues I knew who were working on it. This isn't Ron Mallett's theory of matter - it's Einstein's theory of relativity. I'm not pulling things out of the known laws of physics."

The professor and his colleagues plan to build a machine to test whether it's possible to transport a subatomic particle through time using a ring of light.

He hopes the energy from a rotating laser beam may warp the space inside the ring of the light so gravity forces the neutron to rotate sideways. With more energy, he thinks it's possible a second neutron would appear. This second particle would be the first one visiting itself from the future.

He admits sending a human through time may need more energy than scientists know how to harness currently, but he sees it as just ''an engineering problem.''

Prof Mallett's boss, William Stwalley, chairman of the university's physics department, said: "His ideas certainly have merit. I think some of his ideas are very interesting and they would make nice tests of general relativity."

Story filed: 16:02 Friday 5th April 2002
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Banned
    i think this guy was on art bell a weeks back. i'm skeptical about it though.

Hmmm,
    Very interesting, but, I have one philosophy on time machines and time travel backwords for that matter. What I believe is that it is not possible in any way shape nor form. I only believe this because, {I am usually open minded of the future and growing new possiblities} if you think about it, we would know of it by now. Imagine this. . .relativity is a large part of physics in general, so let us think of this whole concept outside of our box. {The best view point of happenings is away from the happening} So let us believe that we are living beings that exist outside the boundary of time. When we see that in the year 2020 somebody creates a time machine, they go back in time and do whatever. Now, after another 1,000 years let's say. 3020, somebody's new beliefs are that time travel and the world are corrupt and should not be here. That person in turn goes back in time and kills thousands of people with a new weapon. Therefore we as the beings would see this happen. Now, if time machines could ever be created, you would have to think of the fact that they are going BACK in time. If a time machine goes BACK, then that past becomes the one past. There cannot be several instances of the same time. So, even if we as humans develop a time machine in 100 years, eventually {I live by a theory of probability, because it is helpful describing several instances in our lives, that theory of mine is that, if something is possible even in the slightest amount, it will happen.} someone will want to expoit that time machine and change something drastically. Now, we know that there have been several good and bad things in this earth to this day, but we can say without a doubt that nothing "godly" has happened to us. There has been no one who has come from "a different planet" or that has brought a weapon of mass destruction to kill off the world. In conclusion what I am saying is that time machines are impossible because we have not seen them yet, referring back to looking at time outside of our dimension, if someone was watching the earth from 100,000 BC to now, that time would remain constant, and if there was a time machine buit, it would be there at that instance, not after the fact. Am I making sense? Or does this sound like rambling? Please post.

If a time machine goes back in time, what happens when it goes back past the time when it was built? Would it disappear because it had not yet been built? Hmmm.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

I don't think it's possible... At least not possible if you believe in infinity..., I think... In IRC, we kinda got to saying that laws and theories describe the universe that we live in... Like other things, the laws can be wrong, ill enforced, etc... But because the laws describe our (Scientific) assumptions about the universe, we assume them to be correct..., at least with the field of data (variables) that we've had expierence working with... Some laws may be incorrect, and may not apply under certain conditions..., but only because they're describing what we know... It really isn't what it is...

If it works though, that would be neat... I've always dreamed about traveling around in time... Too bad the common person won't beable to... Maybe we will have something with security in a mountain like Stargate: SG1, or a dective service thing like 7 Days... Man..., I haven't seen those shows in a long time...

BTW: When I was 8 - 11 or so, I was thinking of making light travel faster than light by spinning it... Maybe now how this scientist it talking about it, but if you hold a baseball bat, and swing it, the outter part travels faster... I thought that could be done with light... With my experiments of spinning around with a flash light, I've concluded it couldn't be done... I wonder what would happen if we tried to straighten out light though...

-Tim_axe

But if someone invents a time machine and wants to travel back in time, before they invent it, we will get a visit from someone in the future.

I mean think about it, if someone invents a time machine and goes back in time, the time that he/she goes back to, the people there will have not yet invented it. Thus, before we invent a time machine that goes back in time, we should really get a visit from someone in the future who has invented this machine already...

Dammit...I hate when I want to say something but can't explain it well and end up typing out crap that probably doesn't make sense!!

I hope you all understand what I'm getting at.

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

Now,...imagine if this guy actually completed this task in, lets say 50 years. What would be next? How about a machine,...to teleport you. Could you 'hop' to another machine?

Just my two cents (for now...).
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

Web Carnage,
    Sounds like you're talking about a "transporter" like on the Star Trek science fiction series. Is it possible that one day we will be able to "beam" ourselves from one side of the planet to another? Will there be a machine that can disassemble the atoms of our bodies and then reassemble them in another place? I hope so, but I won't volunteer to test it either.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Carnage, someone is already working on this sort of thing. There was a post here about it some time before....

BTW, for anyone who watched Dr. Who (or may still be watching it), a buddy of mine came up with an idea for a parcel delivery company: Tardis Express: When it absolutely had to be there yesterday.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

time machine cannot and willnot exist... if it did we wouild have alreawdy been visited...wouldent you think??