Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Antionline's " Project Wargame" help JP members?

I hope this project will start on the beggining of Easter. Forteen hours on-line .
    Nononono... i was just dreaming.

Banned
    Greetings:

Also, I don't know who in the hell started this "12 hours a week" stuff. The invitation says "12 hours over several weeks". There's a BIG difference.

1 hour a day * 2 weeks = 14 hours

There should be no problem meeting this requirement

JP: how are going to work with the wargame forum, only let those who are permitted access to it until it is public, open it up to the public when the chosen are known, etc., or something else?
    Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive (the dang thing blew up)

\"Ask not what the kernel can do for you, ask what you can do for the kernel!\"

Banned
    I only have one question... In the PM it said to fill out your new profile, but when I went to my profile, nothing was changed... Am I missing something?

Unhappy :(

Well, reading all of this, it makes just mad with myself to not had started digging into security a year ago!!!!

This looks like a real good thing to join, which I real was looking forward to, but I just have basic network knowledge, even more basic Unix commands, and relative knowledge of the windows OS.

Do you guys think that this skills (even limited when comes to security) could help if I join, or do has i thought on the first time, wait till I have consolidated my knowledge on security?! ( I don't wanna disapoint, or bother everyone, if i'm chosen.... )

I guess JP will also choose accordingly to the knowledge each one has, but i want to hear your opinion before i decide what to do......

Somehow something is telling me to wait and study more, and the other part of me is urging me to try to join.... UUUGGGHHHH indecisions..... I look like a kid! damn....

ok, I'll wait for your opinions.... thx

yea..there should be some new field's that need to be fille'd in...mostly toward's the end of the profiel...I have some
    I really wanna Join now.....I'll wait untill it's public...don't have time now.
    - Noia
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

I got a message from JP about this as well, did the message go to everyone??

Some wonder why we're having this "first phase invitation only" and then an open wargame, etc. etc. I have to remind all of you, that this is a scientific study being carried out by a large team of people. We are not a bunch of kiddies setting up 486's on our dsl connections so we can feel uber by running a "wargame". Our goal is to help develop and compile information which can be used by the Department of Defense to protect US Infrastructures against attacks (aka information warfare). As for someone e-mailing some secretary from the SBIR program, and he/she not knowing about this project? There are hundreds of research projects funded by the DOD, I don't think it is weird that he/she didn't know about this one.
    I can understand where you're coming from JP. But there are some issues to consider:

By making the first phase invitation only a lot of people are relunctant to particapte because they have to release their personal information. This means that only people who agree to provide their personal information will be allowed to try and crack the wargames box, since you have to have permission to participate. Am I right assuming this?

Doing this limits the research to a sample of people that doesn't accurately reflect the user/abusers of computer networks in the real world. This means that any research that is conducted under these conditions is of limited credibility. I'm not saying that the results will be useless and that the project is a waste of time (far from it) but I'm still not clear on what the Department of Defense plans to gain from this research. Can you clarify this?

Another issue that seems to have been overlooked is that, on the web people are much more inclined to embelish the truth regarding their personal details. And what's to stop them? Someone who has had limited experiece with running a small network at home can claim that they are an experinced sysadmin. This system of sampling is not reliable enough to conduct credible scientific research since it relies good faith that the participants will answer questions truthfully.

I don't want to sound like a wet blanket. It might be too late for that I fear . But I'd still like to know more about how this whole thing is going to work?
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

Alright. I'd figure I'd jump on the bandwagon and say something here. I personally am glad this kind of research is going to happen. I've been waiting and looking a long time for something like this to happen. It's been much needed. I'm still learning, true, but I'm going to join and throw in whatever skills I have to contribute to this. I'm not worried about Gov't tracking, since it's really a moot point. What would they want with a 21 year old guy that's just trying to learn his way through computers? I don't think they'll hunt any specific people down. Even if they did, I'm sure JP has the foresight to have legal documents prohibitting prosecution. I'm interested in seeing what kind of research will come of this project, and I'm honored for the opportunity to be a part of it.

that brings up another question: What's the legal stuff with this, JP? not that I expect they could, or even would, but would just like to know..
    Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive (the dang thing blew up)

\"Ask not what the kernel can do for you, ask what you can do for the kernel!\"