Thread: Any day now...

Any day now...

... I'll recieve my copy of Partition Commander that I'd won recently. With that, I'll be able to create a new partition on my laptop for... Linux!! (Redhat, to be precise). I'm very anxious, because once I learn it (I've had only light exposure to it) I'll be able to possibly figure out what I'm doing over at HackersLab, and I'll be able to make my own comparisons between "Windoze"and *nix OSes. While I'm on the subject, are there any major differences between Bourne/Korn/BASh, etc. shells?
    - T3|\\|9U () -

Banned
    Good luck on your Linux journey.. If you have any questions about installing/using Linux just send a PM to me

If you need any help in Hackerslab just go to AO IRC (http://services.antionline.com) and send a message to me (me and s0nic are level14)

One word of advise install linux after windows.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Originally posted here by cwk9
    One word of advise install linux after windows.
    I tried installing red hat 7.1 after Win 2K and it wont let you. It wont install if you have a NTFS partition as your boot.

I installed linux first then made a boot disk and then installed win2k. Works perfectly. just have to use a boot disk to get to linux. I made a last partition for files and used fat32 so i can mount it under linux.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

Banned
    Good luck to you with Linux definately a good choice......

personally from my own expereinces i dont think you should install both Windows and Linux on the same machine.... it will cause problems sometimes..... why not just install linux and if u use a few windows apps that u just cant live without use VMWare to emulate a Windows box.......

Thats my personal opinion and works fine from expereince.....

See ya around the boards and IRC

Thanx for the feedback guys. I'm gonna hope that my System Commander pro can keep things in check for the boot process. And I'm set with my active partition, I didn't bother upgrading it to NTFS, I just left it FAT32, (I have Win98 on there too) which doesn't affect Win2K, it just negates much of its file system management enhancements. No big loss if it doesn't work though, I'll just wipe the drive and start over
    - T3|\\|9U () -