Trivial Trivia (Computers)

Thread: Trivial Trivia (Computers)

Trivial Trivia (Computers)

This informaton is Exserts from This Web Page.

------------------------------------------

The first program that Bill Gates wrote was to big to fit in the computers memory at the time. The PC had 16kb of RAM and his program required 34KB

People who are computer science majors, or who really love to delve deep into computers, tend to usually play an instrument. It has something to do with the pattern recognition and processing area in the brain.

68% of Americans who see Computer Commercials on TV with the advertisment of a processor, such as the Pentium III, believe it speeds up your internet connections ..the modem does that.

The average adult blinks between 12 and 20 times per minute. Based on a 16 hour waking day and a lifespan of 72 years, that would work out to be about 400 million blinks in a lifetime. The function of blinking, of course, is to lubricate the eye. However, we are wired to blink less when looking at a compelling target. This is part of the reason that people who use computers for hours on end tend to experience eyestrain - they usually blink as little as 5 times per minute.

*BLINK*BLINK*

Cows can get a condition called Hardware Disease, which is where foreign objects,(ex. nails, wire, etc.) enter the cow's Reticulum (2nd of the 4 stomachs)and causes disturbances within the cow.

Turning off your monitor when you are not using the computer saves over 80% of the total power consumed. ---- (eeeh...I'm not so sure)

The first ever made computer was called ENIAC.

Today’s average household in the USA contains more computer power than existed in the world before 1965.

The average desktop computer contains 5-10 times more computing power than was used to land a man on the moon.

Back in the mid to late 80's, an IBM compatible computer wasn't considered a hundred percent compatible unless it could run Microsoft's Flight Simulator.

Ever wonder why typewriter or computer keyboards are arranged in the so-called "QWERTY" pattern? It was because, in the early days of mechanical typewriters, proficient typists could type so fast that the keys frequently jammed against each other. In an effort to space often-used keys apart to prevent jamming, the familiar but illogical QWERTY pattern was developed.

Dolphins don't automatically breath, they have to tell themselves to. (Why is this in here? Oh well)

The Space Station program moved from concept to reality: 25,000 pounds of flight hardware were built, and another 75,000 pounds were to be delivered in 1995. [NASA]

According to American Programmer, 31.1% of computer software projects get canceled before they are completed, and 52.7% will overrun their initial cost estimates by 189%. 94% of project start-ups are restarts of previously failed projects.

The earth's magnetic field pulls the electron beams hitting the cathode ray tube in computer monitors. Every computer monitor has to be calibrated relative to its position in the earth's magnetic field. Adjust a monitor in the northern hemisphere and its colors will be wrong if you plug it into a computer in the southern hemisphere.

The devices that make up computer memory, in a 64 Meg computer chip, are so small that up to 10,000 devices could fit in the diameter of a human hair!

On a typical day, your name is transmitted between computers five times.

Cyberphobia- Fear of computers or working on a computer.

-------------------------------------
    Well that's it...
    - Noia
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

Banned
    According to American Programmer, 31.1% of computer software projects get canceled before they are completed, and 52.7% will overrun their initial cost estimates by 189%. 94% of project start-ups are restarts of previously failed projects.
    *Ahem*Windows XP*Ahem*

The devices that make up computer memory, in a 64 Meg computer chip, are so small that up to 10,000 devices could fit in the diameter of a human hair!
    Wow, My hair has more memmory then my computer, Damn it!

On a typical day, your name is transmitted between computers five times.
    Not when your using Windows, when you use Windows your name will go through at least 50 of Billies computers per day (if they dont crash), Guaranteed!

68% of Americans who see Computer Commercials on TV with the advertisment of a processor, such as the Pentium III, believe it speeds up your internet connections ..the modem does that
    Wow, This Pentium IV makes my AOL run sooo much faster

The first program that Bill Gates wrote was to big to fit in the computers memory at the time. The PC had 16kb of RAM and his program required 34KB
    They shouldve figured out then and there that there was something wrong with the man... Hmmm, I wonder what his program did... Produced errors? (The BSOD is born!)

Today’s average household in the USA contains more computer power than existed in the world before 1965.
    Wow, I can just imagine the Pentagon waiting 3 hours for DOS to load and another 2 hours to wait for AOL 1.0 to load, Hehehe

Just found some more... :P was't paying attention...lol
    -------------------------------------------
    Computer Crime adds up to more than 10 billion dollars per year.

By 1995 8 million U.S. households had computers with CD-ROM drives, a 1600% increase over 1990.

The first computer 'bug' was found by Admiral Grace Hopper, a legend in her own time, in a Naval computer. It was a moth, caught in the computer relay switch that was giving rise to errors. This is the etymology of the word 'bug' as used to describe problems related to computer hardware and software.

Dutch engineers have developed a computerized machine that allows a cow to milk itself. Each cow in the herd has a computer chip in its collar. If the computer senses that the cow has not been milked in a given period of time, the milk-laden animal is allowed to enter the stall. The robot sensors locate the teats, apply the vacuum devices, and the cow is milked. The machine costs a mere $250,000 and is said to boost milk pr oduction by 15%.

'There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home.' --Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977

Applying computer technology is simply finding the right wrench to pound in the correct screw.

The last Coast Guard radio navigation station still using Morse code transmitted its last message on March 31, 1995 from Chesapeake, Virginia. Morse first demonstrated his telegraph to Cong ress in 1844, sending the famous message from Washington, D.C., to Baltimore, Md., "What hath God wrought?" Morse's sequence of dots and dashes resembles the modern digital code which forms the basis of modern computer programs.
    -------------------------------
    this should be it...I left some out coz they wern't interesting...the address is in the starting post.
    - Noia
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.