Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is a wargame?

what is a wargame?

what is a wargame?plz explain me in detail. i have a mail from JP that is was invited to 'project wargame'. what does it mean?

A very basic definition:
    It's a server setup for the purpose of attempting to bypass it's security.
    In effect, a server that can be legaly "hacked".
    So a group of people get togather as a group or on an individual concerted effort and attempt to do so. So that we can learn more on exploiting a system and defend one or develop strategy to do so.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

Banned
    A wargame is also sort of a puzzle game witha computer (http://www.hackerslab.org) Where you have to have knowledge of various programming languages/OS's to win

do we have write our own programs or develop any methods or use any of the available software. can u tell me how do that.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Then there are always certain "wargames" like capture the flag, king of the hill, etc etc. Each of these has a certain goal, ie control the server at the end of a certain time frame....control the server for more time then anyone else during a certain period of time....etc etc.

You can use whatever methods you want in a wargame, except DoS attacks are frowned upon. As far as writting your own softwear, no, I can't tell you how to do that. It takes years of studying to do that.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

can you explain me what to do in each kind of wargame. and where can i get material regarding that. i'm just a newbie can anybody explain me techiniques involved or what to do? or give directions or tips or tutorials on what/how to do?(gain control of war game server, hold on the control of that server,etc)

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Read almost every thread hear on the AO forums. Then search google for hacking, wargame, security, trojan, unix, c, c++, asm, exploit, firewall, ipsec, cracking, ids, Intrusion Detection, system administration, tcp/ip, programming, scripts, and virus. Read EVERYTHING you find on each one of those searches. Once you know all that, ask again, and we will give you more words to search on.

Wargames are not something that can be taught in a matter of minutes. The whole point is to take over a machine from someone that knows how to secure it. If I told you how I woul secure it, and how you could take it over from me, that would defeat the purpose. You are asking us to teach you something that took us years to learn, and want it in a small box. You are basically looking at a couple of gig worth of information. If you have a specific question, ask it, but your question is WAY to general.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

thanxs im searching for the information u asked me learn. if hve any doubts or got necessary info i'll call u here for addtional info.

Bottom line is that wargames are hella fun and take up alot of time at work......err....im mean sat. nights
    I toor\'d YOU!

Heh heh. . .yeah . . .good answer, they're a goodway to learn too. Even if you don't acomplish much, you still get to work out the steps you would use if you really DID wanna go fix0rin' something.