Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardware or software?

Hardware or software?

Hey there,I already have zonealarm,norton,blackice,sygate,tiny,and mcafee personal firewalls.
    But as you can see i am a bit of a security freak.I was thinking about buying the LuciGate
    hardware firewall and it claims to be "hacker proof".It is quite expensive but i would be pretty tight as long as i patch my O/S should a hacker be able to get passed it?
    more can be found here http://www.lucidata.com/firewall.htm
    thanx scott

If it is "Hacker Proof" why dosn't everybody have it?

-Radiator52
    WWJD
    What Would Jesus Do (For a klondike Bar?)

Banned
    ive learned that there is no such thing as "Hacker Proof"..... and i sure hope you dont run all those firewalls at the same time because it would be completely pointless...... i suggest choose one firewall that you can completely customize to your needs.... dont go too far with it... and also if you want get a really crappy box with 100MHz and a floppy and run a freesco router/firewall..... its not a bad free router/firewall to run.....

but if your that concerned with security transfer to *nix, get some nice patches for the distribution you get, monitor your open ports... dont leave ANY ports open unless you really use them (dont use telnet or FTP) and just keep updates... set up firewalls only on ports that need them.... dont go over-doing things

I mean im no security expert or anything, just repeating knowlage that has been passed on to me

It´s probably hackeable, though.
    I wish I could see the gadget
    Cojunudo

We were just talking about this post in the IRC channle and that is way to many firewalls..
    Don't they conflict?
    WWJD
    What Would Jesus Do (For a klondike Bar?)

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    If something claims to be hackerproof, don't buy it. Remember Oracle 9i? The hackerproof database. Less then 6 months later, there were multiple exploits for it. Just because something hasn't been hacked doesn't mean it can't be. It just means that no one has taken the time to release an exploit for it. As fyorder said in the bugtrac list.....A firewall is only good to keep the beginners out. If a knowledgeable person wants in your system, they will get in. Your ids may tell you they own you, but they still own you.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

The only computer that is not hackable is one that is not turned on.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

Hardware, I think, anyways, is a better way to go than the software.

Any company that produces a product and claims it "hacker proof" is not going to find it's products on THIS network. That mindset just does not fly from a company producing computer security solutions, although it would not be difficult to make an ultra secure SOHO firewall. I use just a hardware firewall (can't beat NAT) with no software firewall. This is what works for me and my needs but for many I recommend a hardware based NAT firewall for incomming stuff and some sort of software firewall like Kerio personal firewall (or ZA) for outgoing stuff (i.e. adware/spyware/trojans). For a desktop system tracking what your installing, what's running, and what needs updated on your box is just as or more important then expensive solutions that claim to be "hacker proof".

I have a router with just one (root) user, only ssh from the outside (a 486) that router only forwards the http, ftp (anonymous and user) and mail ports, the ftp passwords are of no use on ssh etc..
    so that's a pretty safe (and cheap) way to go..

So I'm with Dome on this one!
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !