Block UPD ports for LAN

Thread: Block UPD ports for LAN

Block UPD ports for LAN

hi

i have Lan of 10 windows 2000 computers and one DC windows 2000 server. My user r playing Quake "LAN party". as Quake uses port 26000 UDP which can be used by user.
    I looking for a way so i can block ports. and Stop them Playing Network games.
    I have tried windows 2000 IP filtering but it block every thing but i need to block only UDP ports.

I am looking for solution ...Thank you

[Probably should be under the newbie forums, but...?]

There are many, many ways... simplest way would probably be to run a fully switched network and allow only connections from clients to the domain controller and not from client-to-client. But doing that can break a lot of other things, too...
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

Hi there

I think you're going about it the wrong way.

If it's Internet traffic you're worried about, attempt to block it at your firewall.

If it's inter-machine traffic you're worried about:

- Quake uses very little bandwidth which is unlikely to adversely affect a LAN

If you don't want your users to play Quake (networked or otherwise), get management to write an AUP which bans Quake, and then make the users stick to it!

Then get some money to purchase a software auditing package and run regular scans for unauthorised software.

If you have a genuine reason for stopping people from playing Quake, I'm sure the management will be only to happy to help.

Oh yes, one other thing.

If you believe that some of the 10 users haven't purchased the game, then you can get the management to crack down on unlicenced software, confront the users to get them to produce their 10 licenced copies of Quake, and if they fail to do so, demand that they remove it on licencing grounds.

If they all rush out and buy licences, then that's fine I suppose