Thread: D.I.R.T. and H.O.P.E leeked to public

Exclamation D.I.R.T. and H.O.P.E leeked to public

For those of you who stay informed of security, i am sure you know what D.I.R.T is. For those who are scratching your heads, it stands for Data Interception by Remote Transmission. It was software designed for law enforcement at a VERY expensive price depending on the model. It was created by a man who likes to think of himself as the 1337 of the 1337 and even goes by the name Spyking Jones. Well, he slipped up somewhere because a few days ago his website was hacked. His precious software which has been a police and law enforment exclusive is being leeked into the hands of the people. This is interesting to say the least and will knock the Spyking off his high horse, but this also poses a security threat in my opinion. We now have a very elaborate form of trojan floating around the Net. Something designed for easy use even by computer illiterate law enforment officials now in the hands of script kiddies. For those of you who are concerned about the security of your networks, or those who just want to see how this infamous software ticks, i have included the D.I.R.T files, user manuals, FAQ's and more in the zip file attached. Enjoy and learn.

AntiOnline Senior Member
    Ermm.. I don't see an attached zip file... But good story anyway.
    [shadow]uraloony, Founder of Loony Services[/shadow]
    Visit us at
    [gloworange]http://www.loonyservices.com/[/gloworange]

i will try to attach again.

i will try breaking it up into 2 seperate files.

for some reason the attachments are not going through so anyone interested will have to find the files themselves. below is a link to resources to help you out. good luck.

http://cryptome.org/dirt-guide.htm

TheRegister (suprise suprise) also covers this in quite a lot of detail, below is the details and the full article (& links to previous related articles) can be found here

The story goes...

Cyber cops & security orgs: DIRTy, stupid and out of control
    By Thomas C Greene in Washington
    Posted: 18/03/2002 at 13:41 GMT

A number of what one would hope to call professional computer security and cyber law-enforcement figures in England, Australia, South America and Asia appear to have been duped by DIRT Trojan marketer Francis Edward "Frank" Jones, according to documents obtained by The Register.

A second load of Codex Data Systems correspondence has been released, including contract paperwork in various stages of maturity. We don't know how much has been finally signed, sealed and delivered; but we can infer that the people named below have at least contemplated co-marketing deals with the hustler Jones. Many of them are in high-profile positions of responsibility and trust in the areas of computer security and law enforcement. It makes one wonder if anyone in these fields can ever be trusted.

For background on the insidious Trojan Jones is misrepresenting as a crime-fighting tool, and Jones' criminal background, see our previous coverage here and here.

First up we have a proposal for marketing DIRT to government spooks, industrial spies and private security firms in the United Kingdom with Dr Kevin A. O'Brien, a Senior Policy Analyst with RAND Europe, and Information Assurance Advisory Council (IAAC) Chief Operating Officer.

According to a document dated 24 September 1998, O'Brien was "contemplating being involved in some or all aspects of [Codex's] creation, development, production or sale of intellectual property," in his capacity then as a representative of the Hussar International Research Group, "a virtual organization of professional research analysts based throughout the world. The prime research interests of the Hussar Group are issues of contemporary international security, in all of its aspects."

__
    and so on

J.

Good job VanEck, how did you stumble upoun that one? The only thing that bothers me about this is any of those little tattle tale things that automatically register you. I'm going to take every precaution while playing with this.

DIRT and Jones...

I'm starting to metally file DIRT along with my mental file containing "Watch out for the Good Times virus!". I mean, really, it's too preposterous. Utterly perfect, does anything, works all the time, high price tag, made by a single guy who calls himself "Spy King"...

YIHAT and Kimble, anyone?
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Well ,I for one, am curious as hell about this. So I'll lokk around (carefully) and let you all know how it goes. i love being the lab rat.....wish me luck.
    \"If the facts don\'t fit the theory, change the facts\" -Albert Einstein

Banned
    Wow, This really sucks... Does it say how you can get infected/how to get rid of it?