Windows Emulators

Thread: Windows Emulators

Windows Emulators

Has anybody used Wine (not the drink) or any other Windows emulators? I'm putting Linux on my box, and I'm planning on doing a dual boot installation with Windows Xp and Linux. But it would also be nice to have the option to wipe out Windows completely and not worry about that. The only thing is I have some Windows based programs I would like to keep using. Would an emulator let me do that? What are the pros and cons of using an emulator? I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, but I would like to know my options. Please help me with any information you have. Thanks.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Depends on what the programs are. I have played with both Wine and VMware. The both work, to an extent. Some of the hardcore cames don't work, but most of the little programs still do. What are you trying to keep? Just about anything you want has an equivalent version for linux.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Banned
    personally Wine sux!!!! it doesnt run everything and is really not worth it......

If you want to eliminate windows completely get yourself a copy of VMWare for linux... i know it might be alittle expensive but its truely worth it..... you can emulate not only windows boxes but actual other boxes with VMWare and network them all together when your really only using one box and if you want only one drive.....

It can run ANYTHING, its a wonderfull tool i would reccomend it for everyone

Wine is ok... the WineX project is good! if u can make it work... it takes a lot of reading and a lot of work but if ur good enough u can make it run just about anything... it already runs all the new games and many, many programs... it had trouble making Adobe Photoshop work so I'm now gonna try Lindows but if that can't handle the task I'll be going back to RedHat with WineX. VMWare is also good but it uses far more resources and I find that bad... It also just runs windoze so u still have to make space for that ol' crappy OS wannabe.... but VMWare is the easy choice and I used a lot about a year ago, it's good if u don't wanna do a lot of compiling and a lot of work.
    zion1459
    Visit: http://www.cpc-net.org
    \"Software is like sex: it\'s better when it\'s free.\" -Linus Torvalds

What about Lindows? Its not out yet but it is a option. I have no idea how well it would work though
    aislinn, Aria, BTBAM, chevelle, codeseven, Cky, dredg, evergreen terrace, from autumn to ashes,hopesfall, hxc, luti-kriss, nirvana, norma jean, shai hulud, this hero dies, tool, underoath, zao,

Wine is good for games but other wise I just go find the Linux equivalent.
    Its not software piracy. Iím just making multiple off site backups.

If you NEED Windows programs, there are not probably little programs and as emulators are not perfect (in fact all of them have a lot of compatibility problems), I advice you to keep a Window version on your disk.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--