Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Project Messanger

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Good call valhallen. I was wondering if anyone was going to point out that this idea has been brought up at least twice this year.

Programs like this are ALWAYS suceptible to one type of hack or another. If done properly, it could be great, but I can already here the questions...... <name> punted me from AOIM, how do I hack him?
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

System_Overload
    *lol* thats all we need... Stupid scripter kiddies asking how to hack other AOIM members.... Im glade to see this thread geting so meny replys.... Now if I can only get JP to reply...

System_0verload

Banned
    lmfao...... We'll be getting "How Do I Hack AOIM?" threads and it will suck because JP will be like, wtf?!?!?!

Musings on AOIM

Sounds like a great idea. I'll be having a lot of free time starting June (summer vacation), and I'm good at coding, so I think that I could probably help on this.

As for the server stuff, it's not too necessary for a lot of space; all the server really needs to store are names and i.p. addresses, and status (on or off) (if using one-to-one communication), everything else can be handled directly between the two chat clients.

When it comes to scriptkiddies, access to the chat client and/or certain people could be limited or based on meeting certain criteria such as time on AO, antipoints, and/or amount of posts. People could also set the criteria for themselves so that only those they want or who fit their individual criteria can contact them.

Since this is a security site, I suggest that the communications will be encrypted though with which algorithm, I know not, though it may be choosable based on user programs/preferences.

If a community chat is wanted, like our own private IRC, we probably would need servers, though I believe JP probably has enough spare space that we could do this, though we could make it so that users can choose to use their own computers/servers as the servers for the program. In the latter case, JP's servers could just hold the addresses of active servers.

Of course, due to the nature of the users on this site, the program must be entirely open source, to qualm suspicions.

After the basic program(s) is/are created and tested, subsequent additions could include compatability with others such as AIM, trillian, and IRC.

For "special features", I propose a few of the following:
    * uses the same rules as the forums, so that things such as smilies also work in chat
    * includes a special browser for the AO forums
    * since I know so many of you like em, it will also include IRC commands (if possible)
    * quick pm access through the chat client

For interoperability, the program could be totally selfcontained, or after the basic (windows) version is done, it will be adopted to others as soon as possible by any who can spare the time, though final authentication for use must go through a central program administrator.

Like windows media player, the program could also be able to utilize skins for a more adoptable look and feel.

Being as the program is for a site concerned with security, by people concerned with security, the program could be updated faster to accomodate problems/bugs/security issues. Along with that, there will probably be an auto-update feature that operates in the background so users don't have to bother with large periodic upgrades.

Thanks for the patience if you read this whole post, and I will update it as I see more issues to address. Maybe later (if I get to and/or remember this) I will start to post the beginnings of the code for the program.
    Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive (the dang thing blew up)

\"Ask not what the kernel can do for you, ask what you can do for the kernel!\"

GreekGoddess
    I think it sounds like a great idea....and to solve the problem of just anyone getting the client (ex. scriptkiddies) make registration for it based on past your trial (newbie) membership to AO.
    Even though I've been on here quite frequently since I've signed up, it would still take me a helluva long while before I get to the required posts to become established....

Just a thought though....still new...hehehe

(and BTW if someone does decide to do this, I have no idea of what kind of methods one would use to create an IM program like this...I would be very interested to learn though.)

Yep,I think an anti-online messenger would be a great idea,it would help newbies and regulars come closer together and we would be able to see when our AO buddies are online without having to check in irc or see if they are logged on on the AO forums.

-Sh4d0wX
    If l0vε aint å g4mε,thεn h0w c0mε thεrε arε §0 m4ny p|4yεr$?

Awesome idea. I could help with the interface, and maybe some programming. I'll decompile aim and some other messengers and figure it out. I just checked out a bunch of programming books, so I will read those and help at coding. What language will it be in?
    [gloworange]Die, or surrender, either way won\'t work.[/gloworange]
    [shadow]HuntX7[/shadow]

There is another little problem.
    There are too Instant Messengers. I'm yet using Trillian with ICQ, AIM, MSN and IRC! So.... another messenger! I think it is too.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

This could be like a private mod of trillian -- works with everything yet has its own look and feel. That would mean that to access all (major) others, you would only need the AO Instant Messanger.
    Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive (the dang thing blew up)

\"Ask not what the kernel can do for you, ask what you can do for the kernel!\"

Antionline Herpetologist
    I'll chip in with anything Java related (a java client maybe). Also, we should register this project on sourceforge and make it open source (BSD Lisence).
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi.
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com