Thread: Mac questions

Mac questions

Okay, so they're only partially security questions, but I figured this might be the best place to post, and draw the least amount of Mac bashing.

First off, I'm looking at potentially implementing a Powermac G4 onto an existing network, to be used as a multimedia development studio running a wide variety of graphics and video apps. Most likely dual proc 1ghz with 1.5 gig ram, scsi drives, etc. The hardware config isn't the issue though.

I have very limited exp. with Macs, but I'm curious as to what network protocols are supported, aside from Appletalk and TCP/IP. I can most likely manage the integration via TCP/IP, which will give users access to file shares, but I don't know if I can get full commincation via Pathworks (openVMS on a pair of Compaq Alphas) for logins and permission settings.

Also, with Mac OS X, for configuring services, permissions, and settings, to lock it down, I would assume I will need to edit the .cnf files (or equiv.) on the mac. Or is there a simpler way? Being Unix based, I think I have it figured out, but without actually having the system yet, I'm not sure how much OS X is like Unix, or what has been changed.

Also, does anyone know where I can find a side by side comparision between the G3 and G4 chipsets? I may need to add a couple Apple laptops for presentation machines, and I want to keep the bottom line ($$$) fairly low. I've tried Apple's site, as well as numerous searches on Google, and I keep coming up blank, aside from Tech Docs on various machines.

Thanks for any help with the above,
    -Aryoche

Also, with Mac OS X, for configuring services, permissions, and settings, to lock it down, I would assume I will need to edit the .cnf files (or equiv.) on the mac. Or is there a simpler way? Being Unix based, I think I have it figured out, but without actually having the system yet, I'm not sure how much OS X is like Unix, or what has been changed.
    Its a while since I was using MacOSX server (the first edition) but it was a nice gui tool for user permissions. You could even have several root-users (I do not like that though). I do not think that they have changed the utility so its probably still there, I dont remember the name of the utility.

About services, file permissions etc. You can use oldfashion unix tools for that. All tools and config files should be the same as in other *nix systems but some of them in different locations.

You should use a search engine and do some more reading and then when you later have questions come back with them. We have some Mac fan's here at AO and they will hopefully answer all your questions.

Some links worth checking out.
    Google search
    MacOSX users guide: security
    CLI Tutorial
    Mac security site

~micael the MacOSX newbie .

To answer your question -

Basically OS X will do any networking protocol (TCP/IP and Open VMS included) that is used today. In fact I think that macs do wireless 8021.B (or whatever) better than PCs do. OS X does most of the Networking itself, so basically you just plug and play!

As for the Unix half of OS X....I know its a Darwin BSD kernel, but I don't know much about Unix. I am told its a powerful Kernel, and its easy to work with, but I can't testify to that.

Hope that helps....

PS Mac Addict and Mac World (mac mags...) both do comparisions often between the newest boxes....would that help?
    - Jimmy Mac

Replicants are like any technology, if there not a hazard, its not my problem....