Okay, so they're only partially security questions, but I figured this might be the best place to post, and draw the least amount of Mac bashing.

First off, I'm looking at potentially implementing a Powermac G4 onto an existing network, to be used as a multimedia development studio running a wide variety of graphics and video apps. Most likely dual proc 1ghz with 1.5 gig ram, scsi drives, etc. The hardware config isn't the issue though.

I have very limited exp. with Macs, but I'm curious as to what network protocols are supported, aside from Appletalk and TCP/IP. I can most likely manage the integration via TCP/IP, which will give users access to file shares, but I don't know if I can get full commincation via Pathworks (openVMS on a pair of Compaq Alphas) for logins and permission settings.

Also, with Mac OS X, for configuring services, permissions, and settings, to lock it down, I would assume I will need to edit the .cnf files (or equiv.) on the mac. Or is there a simpler way? Being Unix based, I think I have it figured out, but without actually having the system yet, I'm not sure how much OS X is like Unix, or what has been changed.

Also, does anyone know where I can find a side by side comparision between the G3 and G4 chipsets? I may need to add a couple Apple laptops for presentation machines, and I want to keep the bottom line ($$$) fairly low. I've tried Apple's site, as well as numerous searches on Google, and I keep coming up blank, aside from Tech Docs on various machines.

Thanks for any help with the above,
-Aryoche