Thread: what is the linux equivalent of the windows2000 dfs

what is the linux equivalent of the windows2000 dfs

i was wondering whether linux has a DFS service just like the one in windows2000 server..
    so does anyone have any idea?

with regards
    scorpion

It doesn't as far as I know have a DFS service *just* like the Win2k one.

There is a filesystem called Coda which is quite advanced, and although it's still in development, it should theoretically be capable of at least what DFS does.

Some of what DFS does can be done on Linux /Unix anyway, because of the way mount points work. Windows 2000 effectively added these "new" features when Unix had them since (possibly) 1970

If your requirements are less stringent, it might be worthwhile investigating some filesystem replication products like rsync.

Actually Running Samba will do that.......i belive but im not a Samba person.
    I toor\'d YOU!

thank you all for the reply

i thank you two for the reply..it is true that SAMBA provides file sharing..but i would not bring a distributed list of share under one system..that was i mentioned that i am looking for a dfs similar to windows2000....i am planning to undertake a project in it..and i just wanted to make sure that i am not doing something that was already done....i will check out coda

with regards
    scorpion

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman