Dial Up Modem help?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dial Up Modem help?

Dial Up Modem help?

i'm having problems dialing up on my desktop, i can't tell if my modem is just gone, and i'll have to buy a new one, or if my network connections are messed up.

what happens is, i dial up and i get stuck at auth, and than i disconnect, so i'm guessing it's not my modem, but my connection settings, how do the connection settings go?

Well, first of all, what OS are you using, what kind of modem is it, and are you dialing a local ISP, AOL, etc? It sounds as if your authentication settings are not correct, I've had similar problems before using a dial up account and Windows 2000. To begin with, (and I'm assuming you're running some version of Windows), I'd check the device manager and make sure that your modem is functioning correctly, and that you have the latest drivers for that modem installed. When I had problems in the past, I was able to play with the authentication settings and eventually was able to make the connection work. You may want to try some experimentation and see what you can come up with. However, if you could provide a little more detail we will be better able to help you.

Let us know...
    - Maverick

im running windows 98, Conexant HCF V90 56K Data Fax PCI Modem, i'm using MSN as my ISP.

i HAVE, tryed to upgrade to windows 2k, but my desk top has been so messed up. but there is an other thing, sometimes i get an error that comes up and it say "FTP-BACK" has crashed, so i close it, and it just keeps coming up, so, do get rid of it i have to restart
    The Earth turns, but we don\'t feel it move, and one night you look up, one spark, and the sky is on fire. - GONY

01100011 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110000 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100101 01110100

Originally posted here by clonetheplanet
    im running windows 98, Conexant HCF V90 56K Data Fax PCI Modem, i'm using MSN as my ISP.

i HAVE, tryed to upgrade to windows 2k, but my desk top has been so messed up. but there is an other thing, sometimes i get an error that comes up and it say "FTP-BACK" has crashed, so i close it, and it just keeps coming up, so, do get rid of it i have to restart
    Are you trying to set this modem up for the
    first time, or was it working OK before
    this happened?

Have you made other changes to your
    computer that coincided with the
    appearance of this problem?

I have this same exact modem in my COMPAQ DESKPRO
    and it seems fine, but I would be afraid to mess
    with the software that supports it.
    It originally came with the modem software
    already installed. And BTW, it is a "winmodem".

I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Originally posted here by rcgreen

Are you trying to set this modem up for the
    first time, or was it working OK before
    this happened?

Have you made other changes to your
    computer that coincided with the
    appearance of this problem?

I have this same exact modem in my COMPAQ DESKPRO
    and it seems fine, but I would be afraid to mess
    with the software that supports it.
    It originally came with the modem software
    already installed. And BTW, it is a "winmodem".

no, my modem has worked before, and than one day it decided that it didn't want to work. i even tryed calling my ISP thinking that something was wrong with them. the gut that awnsered my question could hardly speak english and was mubbling, so i might have messed it up that way.

Hmmm... haven't seen the FTP-BACK issue before, myself...

But, I'd use something like HyperTerminal and do the connection manually, just to prove it works. With Win98, I'd guess it was the dial-up "script" wasn't completing successfully or had some weird/odd issue with it.

You can go to HyperTerminal and use "ATZ" (without the quotes) to reset the modem to its power-on state. Then use "ATDT###########" (again, without the quotes, replace the pound signs with the complete phone number you're dialing in to). Once the modem tones go away (ie. it sounds like it's connected), you should have a login prompt or something that should be fairly straightforward... if you get the username and password wrong, it should probably tell you... if you get it correct, the modem should stay connected and you'll get some garbage (the PPP connection).
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

Originally posted here by draziw

But, I'd use something like HyperTerminal and do the connection manually, just to prove it works. With Win98, I'd guess it was the dial-up "script" wasn't completing successfully or had some weird/odd issue with it.

You can go to HyperTerminal and use "ATZ" (without the quotes) to reset the modem to its power-on state. Then use "ATDT###########" (again, without the quotes, replace the pound signs with the complete phone number you're dialing in to). Once the modem tones go away (ie. it sounds like it's connected), you should have a login prompt or something that should be fairly straightforward... if you get the username and password wrong, it should probably tell you... if you get it correct, the modem should stay connected and you'll get some garbage (the PPP connection).

i didn't know you could use HyperTerminal for dial up purposes. in my cisco class we use it for configuring routers. that was insightful thanx

Originally posted here by draziw

i tryed the Hyper Terminal do make the manual connection. but when i did it gave me:
    ATZ
    OK
    ATDT###########( <--ISP number)
    NO CARRIER

what is this?
    what does " NO CARRIER" mean

i didn't know you could use HyperTerminal for dial up purposes. in my cisco class we use it for configuring routers. that was insightful thanx
    Eh... HyperTerminal sucks, but it's one way to the means... just a generic connection to a serial or serial-like device - and it's pretty easily available on most Windoze machines (so it's easy to point at).

If you want something better, I'd actually recommend something more like Vandyke's SecureCRT - http://www.vandyke.com/products/securecrt/ - it's a lot more robust, flexible, etc (and, unlike M$, VanDyke actually seems to take bug reports and enhancement requests seriously - and no, I don't work for them or have any sort of affiliation with them other than being a satisfied customer).
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

i tryed the Hyper Terminal do make the manual connection. but when i did it gave me:
    ATZ
    OK
    ATDT###########( <--ISP number)
    NO CARRIER

what is this?
    what does " NO CARRIER" mean
    Make sure you have a phone line connected to the modem... you should normally hear it dial out (or try to), depending on how you have it configured (or how it was configured for you by the autodialer).

Also, once you do the "ATDT" command, you have to leave it alone until it comes back with something - if you hit something like "return" before it connects, it might just fall through (ie. quit) and give you the "NO CARRIER" line. (it's basically saying there's no modem on the other end for it to talk to or, depending on the error codes setting, could mean "NO DIALTONE" - though newer type modems should also tell you if that's the problem)

What type of modem is it again?