Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dial Up Modem help?

Originally posted here by draziw

Make sure you have a phone line connected to the modem... you should normally hear it dial out (or try to), depending on how you have it configured (or how it was configured for you by the autodialer).

Also, once you do the "ATDT" command, you have to leave it alone until it comes back with something - if you hit something like "return" before it connects, it might just fall through (ie. quit) and give you the "NO CARRIER" line. (it's basically saying there's no modem on the other end for it to talk to or, depending on the error codes setting, could mean "NO DIALTONE" - though newer type modems should also tell you if that's the problem)

What type of modem is it again?

Conexant HCF V90 56k Data Faz PCI Modem
    it's a compaq modem, i'm not a great compaq fan any more.

Did you have the dialtone and did you hear it dial out? If not, then check to ensure that your modem is properly inserted into it's slot inside the computer, then ensure that all phone cables are connected. If you were able to dial out, then it's probably not a hardware issue, only leaving an issue with the ISP - call the ISP back and ask if they changed any kind of setups on there end since you've had these problems. I'd also play around with the settings for your dialup connection to see if you can figure something out.

One final bit of advice, try what I said earlier: make sure that you have the latest drivers installed for that modem, you should be able to find them from Compaq's website.

Keep us informed...
    - Maverick

Originally posted here by Maverick811
    Did you have the dialtone and did you hear it dial out? If not, then check to ensure that your modem is properly inserted into it's slot inside the computer, then ensure that all phone cables are connected. If you were able to dial out, then it's probably not a hardware issue, only leaving an issue with the ISP - call the ISP back and ask if they changed any kind of setups on there end since you've had these problems. I'd also play around with the settings for your dialup connection to see if you can figure something out.

One final bit of advice, try what I said earlier: make sure that you have the latest drivers installed for that modem, you should be able to find them from Compaq's website.

Keep us informed...

yes, i can dial out and i get a tone, and yes again i talked to the 'guys' about it. but the thing is that i am on my laptop and i'm using the same handle and passwordand can get online just fine. one guy said that my password might have gotten "corrupted" or something? but i don't know what he means. but i'm still thinking that there is something to do with that error i get that "FTP-BACK". i'm thinking that might be a problem
    The Earth turns, but we don\'t feel it move, and one night you look up, one spark, and the sky is on fire. - GONY

01100011 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110000 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100101 01110100