Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: perl out of date?

perl out of date?

im busy trying to learn a bit of perl, and all i keep hearing is that i should use ASP...whats wrong with perl?!?

i am under the impression that ASP is just for IIS which is the quite possibly the worst server out there....

anyways am i wasting my time? should i move on to something else?

err...sorry about double posting....AO decided to slow way down

Re: perl out of date?

Originally posted here by AngryBob
    im busy trying to learn a bit of perl, and all i keep hearing is that i should use ASP...whats wrong with perl?!?
    There's nothing wrong with Perl - just the M$ bigots out there will always seemingly say that their way is the best way of thinking... guess that's how mind control works. Learning Perl will enable you to write CGI for pretty much any webserver out there, including Mac... learning ASP, well, you can write pages for IIS and, well, servers where the admin (probably) had to include the module so that he/she could dump the NT box and put the webserver on a platform that was actually designed to be up continuously for months or years.

i am under the impression that ASP is just for IIS which is the quite possibly the worst server out there....
    Actually there are ASP modules for quite a few servers out there now, including Apache. If you ask me, however, it's a waste of time (well, ok, that's not entirely true - it's useful to learn and it's similiar to others (like PHP); I just tend to be biased against most of the way M$ software runs/ships (read: wide open rather than mostly closed)).
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Learn perl and php. asp can suck my butt (excuse my language).

As far as the double posting, go into the other thread, click on edit my post, and delete the thread. That way you don't get replies in both threads.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

i agree with souleman.
    savIRC :: The Multi-Platform IRC Client v. 1.8 [Released 9.04.02]

Banned
    Perl and CGI are awesome languages to learn. I'm partial to Perl, Cgi, VisualBasic, and PHP.

You program in CGI huh? Well I was about to mess with you, but then I saw that your mood is "drunk," so I will be merciful.
    gh0stface

Re: perl out of date?

Originally posted here by AngryBob

anyways am i wasting my time? should i move on to something else?
    No, you are not wasting your time. Perl is ever-growing, and it is a very useful language for many tasks, including text processing for web apps.

Good luck.
    gh0stface

I use perl all the time. Its a great text manupulation scripting language.
    Python is also an excellent way to go, as far as a object oriented scripting language.
    Ive been told that ruby is also great and it it has awsome support for xml based stuff.
    Another option is php. php is really cool and not to hard to learn.As for ASP
    i think its crap but remember this is comming from a unix junkie
    I toor\'d YOU!

It should be noted that Perl is a great language in it's own right. It's not just a CGI scripting language.
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.