Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard Ware Problem. (My pc freezes when I install it)

Hard Ware Problem. (My pc freezes when I install it)

Ok sorry if this is in wrong forum but I figured I may get more responses here.

OK, my is a Intel Celeron 534. 256mb ram, Win 98SE. HP Pavilion 8650c

I upgraded to a better gfx card, modem and sound when my pc froze. So what I did was install one by one to see which was the problem.

After I concluded it was the sound card it may have been damaged I bought a new one.

When I install the drivers etc etc. And reboot after request, my pc loads up everything fine... then I hear my windows boot up song file and a few secs after it my pc freezes and makes a very crude sound that sounds like the emergency broadcast station. (like "uerrrrrrrrgn")

Then my mouse k/b everything locks up. I remove the sound card and everything is fine.

I looked at all the programs... ran many diagnostics programs looking for errors and correcting them.

Please if you need any more info in order to solve this problem for me let me know. Via reply to this post.

P.S. Yes I know this pc is obsolete, but its mine and I do have a newer one.

Banned
    Thats happened to my cousins Pavilian before.....

You must realize that HP is NOT very compatible with any upgrades, they want you to upgrade from them and not from other companies.....

I really am not sure what to tell you though.... try looking for the latest driver for it..... but i kind of doubt that would help.

Sounds to me you have an IRQ problem.
    Try moving the sound card to another pci slot
    Also see if you can change the IRQ setting some sound cards dont allow this.
    WHAT make of sound card do you have
    Mike
    Never miss a good opportunity to shut up.....

Try un-installing all of your upgrades and then re-installing, putting the sound card in FIRST! There used to be a rule of thumb regarding sound cards laying claim to certain IRQ's and I/O's. If you put them in after other upgrades or installs and those addresses were taken your system would act weird or crap out. Also, try another PCI slot.
    Opinions are like *******s. Everybody has one and everyone thinks everybody else\'s stinks.

Oh duh forgot to mention the Sound card. the First one I bought was A SB Live 5.1 Then I got something weaker The Sb Live PCI 512.

I did try switching the PCI slots around... same stuff, happened.
    When I have the recovery discs (its like a reformat of the hd) in the cd bay, I boot up takes me to the screen.. I choose the options (its like a bios setup) and then my pc freezes... no recovery happens. There are scratchs on the discs because I didnt take good care of them.

I will need to buy them again from probally... unless there are other ways.

Ok lets see if this will help
    1. uninstall all your sound drivers (you do have the drivers for the new card ?)
    2.remove sound card
    3. reboot and enter your bios make sure its set to PnP os
    4.Shut down and replace s/card
    5. Reboot and enter bios again go to PnP Devices check what is there and there irq's
    6. enter the irq next to your s/card ( 5 is default) you can use 7, 9 or 10
    7.reboot and i hope it works
    Never miss a good opportunity to shut up.....

Im still learning all the features of the bios can you explain step three to me a bit clearer.

Banned
    I had a similar problem with my Compaq.....
    Installed an Awe64 and all when awall.....
    Uninstall your soundcard drivers for your onboard chip, then go into registry and remove all entries from the soundcard, then, if you can, go into bios and look for anything that controls that (if it has anything)....
    It worked for me, but something that worked better was a simple format and reinstall

TitanMike, many devices share IRQ's (IRQ 11 has usually 5 devices) it's a matter of what uses it when.....

TygerClaw... my sound wasn't onboard it was a Chameleon Audio/Modem card.. (i already replaced my modem) But now my sound wont work.

Banned
    hmm.....

But you did remove the old card from all entries....?
    If it was a modem/soundcard the drivers are co-existent. Similar to the MWave from IBM, it's an "other device" and it might have some drivers left here and there.....

My problem with my soundcard was my printer was going against my soundcard. Are you having other problems with other devices? or is it solely confined to the soundcard?