FTP servers

Thread: FTP servers

FTP servers

Can I host my own ftp server with the dos command FTP or use a web server as an ftp? How can I host my own ftp?

Can't answer the DOS question. But I think you can use your box as a FTP server. I think Linux distros give you the option of running the FTP service. And you might be able to find a freeware site that has a program that lets you run an FTP server.

Try this one: http://search.webattack.com/search/search.pl I searched for "ftp servers freeware" and it gave me a page with some.

Just be careful if you do it. Every service you run brings added vulnerabiliites.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

There is a million and 1 freeware ftp servers checkout downloads.com

Tip Read only

If you tell me Curiosity Killed the cat,
    Then I say he died a noble death.

other tip.
    running as a different user (nobody) but that only counts on unix / linux

on dos and windows there are literaly milions of ftp servers in either free or shareware.

and as for the rest of your question. the FTP command in DOS is just the client
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

sure is
    aislinn, Aria, BTBAM, chevelle, codeseven, Cky, dredg, evergreen terrace, from autumn to ashes,hopesfall, hxc, luti-kriss, nirvana, norma jean, shai hulud, this hero dies, tool, underoath, zao,

thanks guys

One other thing

I still don't quite grasp the idea that having a service running on your pc has extra vunerabilities. How come FTP doesn't just let you access ftp etc. Is this do with protocols and exploiting them so they transfer dodgy data? I really wouldn't know this stuff yet.

Banned
    Hey thats alright. I don't understand what your asking in ur last post but let me try to help. FTP in a dos window is an ftp client. It is used to connect to an FTP server, something you are hoping to have. That is mainly why ftp is a vulnerability/exploit. If you have a server running on you system, someone can exploit it with many things, one of which being the DOS ftp client. Remember, that is only one exploit. There are many more. Hope I helped ya. later!