Thread: KaZaALite/established connections

KaZaALite/established connections

If I do netstat -n and view all connections, then choose to close the programs using those ports, the connection should be terminated (the port closed).
    Am I understanding this correctly?

I've noticed that KaZaA Lite shows established connections even after the program is closed (i.e. I close program then several minutes later do netstat -n and my results still show established connections on port 1214 with the IP's of people that had been uploading from me)

Two questions....Is this normal for this program? and is it anything to be overly cautious of/alert to?
    Faqt

If you want to make God laugh....make plans.

Well from my expieriences with kazaa it doesn't matter how many time you tell it to stop it will continue to re-establish upload connections until you either
    1.close kazaa completely
    2.set your firewall to block ALL traffic from kazaa
    3.disconnect from the internet
    4.immerse your PC in hydrochloric acid

otherwise kazaa will simply re-establish the connection time and again, also it might help to go into your kazaa settings and set it so that only one person can download from you at any given time, that way you can more easily monitor who is doing what and kazaa won't completly eat your bandwidth as it has a tendency to do. As for being worried about it, well an open port is an open port and I'm sure that someone will or has already found a way to exploit it just make sure your firewall is configured well, and pay attention to it.
    Never Criticize a man until you\'ve walked a mile in his shoes, that way when you do criticize him you\'ll be a mile away and you\'ll have his shoes.

Thank you for your reply...I've reset for only one upload and three downloads at any given time.
    Faqt

i dont have it on this computer, but i'll try this later:

set your browser to http://127.0.0.1:1214 and see what you get.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Good idea. Thats a great way to check that your only sharing the files you want.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

when you say you close the program, do you mean the window your viewing or do you exit the progam from systray? if your just closing the window, it will keep on operating as usual from systray.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I am not sure about this but i seem to recall that there was a hacked version circulating around. Apparently this one was a spyware. You can get more info on slashdot.com

hmmm...setting my browser to 127.0.0.1:1214 gives me a list of all my mp3/video files...I tried various combinations and couldn't access any other type of file.

When I said close the program I meant right click on it in the system tray and then choose close.

I searched slashdot.com and came up with one link for "Kazaa lite hacked by rusian hacker" but the link simply took me to a KaZaA lite download page.

Thank you all for your responses.
    Faqt

hhmmm! if you close kazaa lite and you can still access its web server thats not a real good thing. when your done using it maybe you should log off and log back on again and keep kazaa from loading at start up.
    although as far as i know, right now, there is no real danger with their server running, but their could be an exploit working right now for it and we wouldn't find out about it till net week/month. its better to be safe.