Linix mandrake

Thread: Linix mandrake

Linix mandrake

Hello

I setup Mandrake last night and i need to find out how i can set it up to see windows on a network?

i have a dedicated ip address and i have a network setup with all windowz xp with internet connection shareing

I have all the setting correct for the ip addresses and that didn't work I have also set it up for dhcp and still can't see it.

is there a software program that will communicate windowz and linix os'es for the network. or do i have to setup a router
    I\'LL TRY ANYTHING ONCE IF I LIKE IT I\'LL DO IT AGAIN!?!i!:-)

You want to use windows internet connection sharing with a linux (please note spelling) box? If I'm understanding you correctly.

You should probably switch it around and use your linux box as the gateway, it's much more secure that way.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Setting up linux as your router is going to be the easiest way to do it.
    I suppose you use samba.....
    I toor\'d YOU!

ok if i setup linux as the gateway is it possible to setup satilite internet on the linux with a usb modem and then i would setup win xp as the second computer as the host for the rest of the computers.
    Example: Satilite internet>linux>hub>win xp>wireless network>laptop>laptop???????

sorry this is the first time i setup linux on my own

Yah that should work but why do you need a hub? Just put 4 nics in the linux box and route through each interface.How many computers are you conecting to the router?
    I toor\'d YOU!

linux and 3 windowz xp computers but the internet is satilite usb modem and the network intel anypoint wireless usb

i just found out direcpc does not have drivers and software for linux yet and intel also does not have drivers and software for linux

i will have to sell the wireless and get nics to set them up

as for internet i will have to wait for a ethernet modem to come out for direcpc if they ever make one

thank you all for the input gcfd688

i dont suppose u need to do that all...............to see the shares of win boxes on linux just install samba and the use LinNeighbourhood..ur first prob solved next is regarding routing in network configuration just give in the correct gateway ip address........and i suppose ur prob will be solved

There are 802.11 cards that work wit hlinux so don't see your existang wireless setup get one of those...as for direct pc how dose it connect to your wiindows box...my guess would be PPoE if thats the case that will work on linux.