Thread: WindowsXP Firewall

Exclamation WindowsXP Firewall

Someone may have already mentioned this (i hope not), but the Windows XP "built-in firewall" has quite a large problem. It turns out that it is only a one-way firewall, meaning it blocks only incoming (i think) traffic and not outgoing. (Or perhaps it's vice versa.) Therefore, no one can remote access your WinXP box from the outside (unless you allow them to), but if there is already a remote access trojan on you PC, nothing stops it from doing its thing. Spyware isn't stopped either, which is a big concern for frequent downloaders.

[glowpurple]TechnologyBudda[/glowpurple]
    Person:He's meditating. He must be very wise.
    TechBudda:(thought:a huge bowl of vanilla ice cream...)

Yes that's right. Maybe Microsoft will give its customers the other part of the firewall in the next upgrade. But, seeing how many people don't give security much thought, it's good that they'll at least have something to protect them. I saw a magazine article where they tested the firewall, and they gave it pretty good marks. But anyone who runs XP should definitely get a complete firewall. Norton, Sygate, Zone Alarm, ....something.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Um.....microsoft....well how do i put....sucks.
    I would recomend like a linsys router or something to that effect....IM not a big fan of windows software firewalsl.....now if you were to run linux you could use those god forbidin ip tables.They work like a charm.
    I toor\'d YOU!

Talking

Windows has a track record of not doing what needs to be done until it's to late. Advice: ZoneAlarm is free and it works.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

Banned
    M$ really sucks and WINXP sucks even worse. It has so many bugs (two of which are in the firewall) and is a really shitty OS. Can't expect much from M$ can ya huh?

Apple OSX security systems?

I hear so much on the unreliability of Mircosoft's OS...I was wondering how the new OSX from Apple fares?

Banned
    one thing os x kicks windows ares hehe number 2 windows xp firewall isnt a firewall it just blocks ICMP pings etc so no port scanning or pinging and it does block outgoing connections turn it on and try and send a picture via msn hmm..
    RiOtEr