Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: unix or linux ?

Question unix or linux ?

Hello pals....

I plan to buy a new unix or linux distro so i want help from you.Kindly reply to this.
    Which should i buy a linux distro or a unix?In unix what about FreeBSD or should i go for OpenBSD or any other?Is FBSD compatible with intel processors( i use P3 855mhz,128mb ram 20gb hdd).Do compilers come buitl in with fbsd as in RH linux(i am using it now).Is java SDK compatible with fbsd ?Is their any difference in commands in linux and BSD.Will it run on a linux partition?can freebsd used for a workstation( i don't have plans to use it on any server)

If i go for linux which distro should i use ?What about slackware ?Any other stable distros in linux ?

Thanx in advance.

I would say go for SuSE Linux, I assume you are not that advanced yet so it's best to start with Linux.
    OpenBSD doesn't support java nor dual processors and I don't know if FreebSD does java .
    All distro's come with built in compilers and should be comaptible with most harddrives/processors and motherboards.

I hate to do this on JP's site....but, questions like this can best be answered here....

Banned
    ummm freebsd and openbsd arnt unix or linux their BSD'S hehe no better way to describe it but their mainly used as servers a real unix OS is suns solaris and if u can afford a sparc machine get that or buy the intel version all though ive never used it... bsd is not easy and a bitch to get software running on it

but the best thing to do is goto www.google.com and just search and c what other people say
    RiOtEr

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    RiOtEr> Sorry to correct you, but they are BSD Unix, so technically, they are still unix.

For those that don't have any idea what we are talking about, back when UNIX was started, it was made by AT&T. The way things were, the company couldn't legally sell it, so they gave it away. Anyway, Berkley University did some mod's to it. That became Berkley System Design Unix (BSD). Some other company (can't remember which one) bough Unix from AT&T, which became System V Unix. I believe the actual name Unix is now owned by Novel, but they are all related to the original Unix.

Anyway, every current variant of unix is a take off of either BSD or System V. FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Linux, etc are all BSD's. SCO, Solaris, etc are all System V.

Other facts:
    Mac OSX, which is based on NeXT, is now techincally a variant of BSD.
    Linux is based on Minux, which was a BSD variant.
    SCO (Santa Cruz Operations) Unix was originaly developed by Microsoft as XENIX.

More history:
    http://www.dimi.uniud.it/~miculan/Di...x-history.html
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

If your a unix newbie, go with RH. Its a real good platform to start with before you move on to bigger and better platforms.

Banned
    Nice bit of interesting facts souleman

Originally posted here by RiOtEr
    ummm freebsd and openbsd arnt unix or linux their BSD'S hehe no better way to describe it but their mainly used as servers a real unix OS is suns solaris and if u can afford a sparc machine get that or buy the intel version all though ive never used it... bsd is not easy and a bitch to get software running on it

but the best thing to do is goto www.google.com and just search and c what other people say
    RiOtEr
    Lay off the booz outback boy, BSD is over 20 years old and is Unix.
    Linux isn't.

i used RH.i want something advanced.
    Should i go for slackware instead of bsd ?

What do you mean by advanced? There is nothing out that I know of that employs any kind of new technology like retna scannig or anything. Did you try RH 7.1? if so try Mandrake.
    d0m1n10n: 1.Control or the exercise of control; sovereignty: “The devil... has their souls in his possession, and under his dominion” (Jonathan Edwards).
    2. A territory or sphere of influence or control; a realm.
    often Dominion Abbr. Dom.