Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: unix or linux ?

Alrighty.....Here we go.
    OpenBSD is for security Freaks like myself.....My two complaints is that id doesn't support java run time development.....and it doesn't support SMP so i cant use my dual p 3
    It is an awsome os still. As for freeBSD i really like the jailed enviormets (even though right now they aren't workin )Both of The BSD's install can be quite a pain but thats life. As for linux I honestly never really liked Suse but it is a great starter linux. Slackware is my choise i think I like it so much because it reminds me so much of BSD . A really fast/stable unix is BeOS its project was cancelled but for multimedia and stuff its really nice you can still get the iso image. But if your a complete newbie id start yah off with redhat or suse.

Oh hey Focmaester, there is a project under way to get java on OpenBSD Freebsd does do java. I would really like it if They put in SMP support though......
    I toor\'d YOU!

Wow, a plethora of information. Go FreeBSD. And FreeBSD java works well, BTW.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Originally Unix was spelt "Unics," which is short for "UNiplexed Information and Computing System."
    U suk at teh intuhnet1!!1!1one

Banned
    I was always under the impression that the reason Linux is out is to make it affortable for users like us to get a copy...

Isn't a copy of Unix like over 1000$ for liscence reasons?

Banned
    I was always under the impression that the reason Linux is out is to make it affortable for users like us to get a copy...

Banned

Banned

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Gee tyger_claw, you posted that enough times. Anyway, back in 92, that was true. Now, FreeBSD is free. So is OpenBSD and NetBSD. I have also seen free versions of SCO and Solaris (for personal use only).

Whoever gave me the negative points saying "nice copy paste" I am just curious as to where I copied and pasted my post from? I don't want to get "revenge" or anything. PM me with a new account or something. If I would have copied and pasted, don't you think all my spelling would have been correct? I wrote the entire post before I searched google and got the link I posted. The only reason I searched is because I couldn't remember if XENIX or Ultrix was the Microsoft version of Unix.

Anyway, a couple other facts that you can claim I copied and pasted:
    Windows NT uses technology from VAX/VMS for memory managment which is why it was more stable then 9x.

Ultrix is the original DEC variant (I rememberd that from my search), which later became Digital Unix, and is now known as Tru64 unix and is owned by Compaq.

minix is a free operating system developed by Tanenbaum to teach OS classes. It was designed to work like unix without any AT&T code involved. Linux was Torvalds OS which was originally based on minix, but without using any minix code.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

FreeBSD is free.....That's why i am going for it.......

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/levenez/unix/history.html

is a nice road map
    BSD = Berkeley System Distribution
    SCO is know owned by caldera I beleive
    and "UNIX" is a trademark of The Open Group if memory serves

Oh yes another bit of increased stability functionaltiy in 2k plus is the transplant of the FreeBSD TCP/IP stack
    In the breifest flash I once understood the concept of randomness as a reflex. My question,\"Is it voluntary?\"
    5amYan
    --last line--<4.6692016090