Thread: Command Line....

Banned

Command Line....

Does anyone know of a non-GUI command line antivirus software?
    It prefetabely has to be no bigger than 2-5MB, I have an extremely old Pentium box (50Mhz) and I want to do a couple of things to it, starting off by testing it for any viruses

Try F-Prot http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg/fprot.html good starting place
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

I have some command line antivirus software for my old ps1 on a disk form 1990. Found it behind my desk a few days ago. I'm not sure if there’s many non gui virus scanners left that are still updated.

(For those of you who think a ps1 is an original playstation feel free to smack you self now)
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Hi mom!
    Damn, most virus-defenition files are bigger than that nowadays

Have you checked with tucows.com? They have a search option that lets you look for win3.x software ...

Try making rescue discs with the software you're using now - those rescue disk (specificly win98 disks) are dos-booted anyway.

Oh, btw, what I'd do is unplug the HDD from the P50 and attach it to some other machine, and scan from there... that'll considerably speed up the scanning process anyway...
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

Originally posted here by Guus
    Oh, btw, what I'd do is unplug the HDD from the P50 and attach it to some other machine, and scan from there... that'll considerably speed up the scanning process anyway...
    Hmmm... good one.

I started resorting to the free online scans a while back... though that requires a decent network connection which isn't always available.

You figure someone would at least have a virus scanner for boot sector modifiers and the like so you could at least feel that booting the machine in-question wasn't a suitable mistake.

One of these days I hope Microsoft would figure enough out that they could install an operating system such that, out of the box, you could leave the administrator account alone and be fairly confident that 1) no normal user process would be able to modify anything remotely kernel-like or "system process" like and 2) a normal user would actually be able to do limited numbers of things, including install their own software in their own "home directories" -- and Tripwire-like things would allow reasonably securities as to file modifications, at least to like C2 level (I know, M$ claims this is already possible - but, no way in hell out of the box and, well, I've never seen it ever demonstrated (which, granted, means neither jack nor sh*t)).

Sorry, I'm more of a UN*X type, obviously - my Winblowz boxes simply sit around for things like Visio, D2, EQ, DaoC and UT.
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

I am fixing up an old computer with a 50MHz processor and with Windows 95 installed. I am trying to look for an antivirus program thats setup file will fit on a floppy disk (1.44MB). I want to start by installing an antivirus program and then scanning for viruses. where can I find an antivirus program (setup files) that will fit on a 3 1/2" Floppy Disk?