Thread: Resetting administrator password on Windows 2000 domain ctontroller?

Unhappy Resetting administrator password on Windows 2000 domain ctontroller?

We recently installed Active Directory on our Windows 2000 server and promoted it as a domain controller, but somehow our password got screwed up and we had no other domain users created. We have a tool that will allow us to reset the local administrator account. We can get into directory services repair mode now, but still can't log onto the domain.

Does ANYBODY have any suggestions out there? Thanks in advance.

Trueblue33

best bet is probably going to be a reformat. sounds like your sid's might have been messed up as well. This is my only guess if the "passwords somehow got mixed up"... Id assume the SIDs did too? is that possible?
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

formatting would prolly be the best bet.

=/

um. I think i had the same problem with win xp. always make 2 accounts on your computer: 2 administratives. Like, one main one.. then a back up one, incase somethin like that would happen again =)

i have a network, a lan.. and if anythin happens to my computer.
    i just copy all the files from my computer onto another. so it's all good =)

even tho i got like 60 gigs on my computer. Why take up mine, when i got other computers like my sister's crappy gateway.

muahahahaha *evil laugh continues*

*mr burns* excelent!!
    my pages: (great resources for everyone)
    geeksarecool.com resource for computers, hacking, virii, wutnot.
    thepillbox.net archive of logs and resource for laughter.
    --enjoy these pages, as they grow.

Try booting the server from the R disk or safe mode F8 boot to command line prompt forget the syntax for 2000 to a google search on scanreg /restore, take the reg back to before the the date of the Active dir.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

It's Windows... break it.

*sigh*

I keep saying, you have physical access to the machine, you can pretty much do whatever you want to the box... usually only BofH types, such as myself, will be the exception (though, again, if you are determined enough (and knowledgeable enough), you will still be able to get in... again, with enough determination and know-how).

Here's a great illustration... posted in rec.humor.funny a couple months back.
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"