Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Computers degrade human mentality

Banned

Question Computers degrade human mentality

Some people believe that since the introduction of computers, the human race has lost many of it's learnt abilities...

Abilities like math (basic or advanced) and languages (spelling, grammar, pronounciation)...

Apparently, the language skills have deminished due to abbreviations and quick responses, not to mention that programs like WordPerfect and Word use spell check, grammar check and even punctuation checkers.

Also, because of the introduction of calculators in the classrooms, children cannot due simple multiplications and divisions on their own....

My question is, do you believe that we are losing our "touch"? Have we allowed the computers to think for us?

(BTW I am aware that we are all computer addicts, so think in a unbiased way )

Probably all of those are valid criticisms. But then again, I feel that I've have been stretching myself and growing intellectually by learning about computers and technology. By the way, I've also heard before that many children can't tell time on a regular clock because they've gotten so used to digital readouts. Do you think that is true?
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

depends on the teachers. If your english teach makes you do a lot of written work in class (such as mine (dang FCAT)), and enforce grammar and spelling, language will not be "lost", though if the teachers don't, it is quite likely. Same goes for math: if the teacher makes you work without a calculator (again, my Algebra II teacher), you will develop mathematical skills, if not, you won't.

Of course, there are those (again, me) who would make themselves learn to do this all anyway, and there are others who wouldn't no matter what.

In truth, it depends on your attitude and your teachers. Support learning and independence from machines, and you will have it; don't, and you won't.

SIDENOTES:
    Computers have actually made language even more difficult, as now there are many more common terms children have to know in order to get along in this world.

Computers have also advanced mathematics in many ways. There likely would not even be a mathematical structure called a function if computers had not come around.
    Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive (the dang thing blew up)

\"Ask not what the kernel can do for you, ask what you can do for the kernel!\"

Banned
    That's the view I sport too...

Computers have given us the ability to save time from doing the little math problems so that we can focus on bigger problems (calculus anyone)

Also, because of computers and programming, I found that I do more math on my own then I did when I was in high school....

On top of that, because of this site and developing others, I found that I have actually improved my vocabulary. Reading all those "learn xxx in 24hrs/21days/xxx" has really thought me much.

Interesting thought, not meant as criticism: take a careful look at your posts in this thread, and you'll likely find an error or two. I myself have already noticed one in my original post and edited it out. Interesting since we are seemingly defending the pro-computer side (not unexpected).
    Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive (the dang thing blew up)

\"Ask not what the kernel can do for you, ask what you can do for the kernel!\"

The only thing that's suffered for me are my social skills....or lack there of.

I spend so much time alone and online that I actually forget how to interact with people.

I think computers with the addition of the internet has made me a smarter person. I find lots of information about computers and internet security (e.g. from antionline), culture from other countries, food, art, and more. Of course I make sure the sources are valid with careful judgment (can't believe everything out there). I feel much more informed with my computer and my cable connection. Without my computer, I'd go insane. It's like doing a physics problem without a calculator or building a porch without a tape ruler. Computers, to me, are a wonderful tool. It's just one of those things you gotta have.

I'll have to play devil's advocate here. I'm sure thousands of years ago when the abacus and the sundial were created, people became too dependent on them as well. Human ignorance is inherent and should not be blamed on increasing technology.
    [glowpurple]With our torn and bleeding hearts, we smile and mouth with myriad subleties.

-- We Wear The Mask
    [/glowpurple]

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Having recieved my associates degree I must disagree. In college they teach you how to do everything the old school way, with a pen and a piece of paper. In all my math classes I have had to learn how to do all calculations by hand. Once I get the credit for having learned how to do a function, they allow you to use a calculator from then on. I think computers have allowed society to expand. How many students would become engineers if they had to do every single calculation by hand on paper with no calculator. You would need an entire semester just to take one calc III w/ physics exam.

The same goes for writing papers in english classes in college. Most of the real grade determining papers are on the spot essays that have to be written in class. You don't have the luxury of having a grammer check or a spelling check. The one thing they do allow you to use is a dictionary, and thats only if the professor allows it. Also, most of the research papers that are written require you to use many sources, including books. They will mark you off if all you use are computer and internet sources. For one paper I actually had to interview someone and include that as a source.

So in closing:

I believe that computers in general are a great learning tool. I have learned almost everything I know through research via the net. Although by no means do they replace the actual learning process. If anything, they reinforce it.

you really have to think of a computer as a tool just as everything around us in civilization has been created to simplify our lives, i think its a great thing. if i want to light a cigarette i whip out my lighter i dont have the skills of primitive man to go and rub to sticks together to start up a fire, but as far as the basic skills like math and grammar that is just essencial and i agree with you that i think those skills are going down in school because education is become more 'specialized and focused' as is every field today, and less attention is being placed on things like algebra geometry and such because you can opt to take 'advanced tumbling'.
    *the wise do sooner what the fools do later.
    --Gracian