Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Computers degrade human mentality

Math and grammar is doing down, but I've noticed it only or mostly in America. I've visited my cousins in Germany, and their calculation skills are exceptional. Their grammar isn't so bad either. They speak and write at least four languages fluently. This isn't about "loving" the computer too much. It's a matter of lifestlye. Are the students here interested in education and knowledge or are they more interested in themselves? Maybe it's because of America emphasizes too much on uniqueness and individuality that many have become closed-minded and too proud to learn. I'll stop there with my philosophy and reasoning. I yap too much sometimes.

I think the fact that we are all here discussing this just proves that things really aren't that bad. How can we say that computers are degrading human mentality when they are our own creations, we have to tell them what to do and how to do it in the first place, to quote Aphextwin
    Originally posted here by AphexTwin
    if i want to light a cigarette i whip out my lighter i dont have the skills of primitive man to go and rub to sticks together to start up a fire.
    By the logic of those who criticize computers for the dumbing down of america, do lighters then degrade human mentality? Fire is essential to our everyday life, yet not many people today can start them without some form of lighter or matches. Does this mean that we are growing unfit to use inventions that utilize internal combustion? Now as far as grammar go's is not the ultimate goal of having a writing system to enable us to communicate with others? When I say BRB you all know that I am saying Be Right Back if that is understood as a standard then what does it matter wether or not it is grammatically correct. I would think that many people would agree that outdated rules hold no purpose but to restrict societies movement forward, and so to everyone out there that complains that our children can't even do simple math anymore I say this, when you give up your automobile, I'll give up my calculator.
    Never Criticize a man until you\'ve walked a mile in his shoes, that way when you do criticize him you\'ll be a mile away and you\'ll have his shoes.

I think much of the criticism on computers is the same criticism on tv or radio 50 or 80 years ago. The fact that people cant count anymore can hardly be blamed on computers but on bad teachers that allow calculators too early.

In Sweden we have a much debated problem about younger people writing words appart. In swedish, if a two words are pronounced as one, they are written as one too but with all the english, due to cable tv and the internet people tend to write apart. This at times, causes much confusion.

Anyway. I'd say computers are a good thing, no matter how you put it and that the ignorance or stupidity of people can't be blamed on computers.
    Mankan

\"The purpose of abstraction is not to be vague, but to create a new semantic level in which one can be absolutely precise.\"
    - Edsger Dijkstra

Computers have given us the ability to save time from doing the little math problems so that we can focus on bigger problems (calculus anyone)
    When I was in school I went all the way through AP Calculus. I got lost somewhere around pre-trig and cal....only thing I learned after that was which buttons to press in which order on a scientific graphing calculator (required for class by the way). I got an A- in class and learned nothing...lol

That aside I would have to say that computers are an incredible and useful tool. Students can easily get deeper into research projects (access more info), and think about the young age of many computer suaves....smart kids
    Faqt

If you want to make God laugh....make plans.

Yes general society will slowly use skills that the computer can do for us. It's nothing new. How many people here can churn butter or sew their own clothes? It's not like the computer is different than any other invention in that way.
    -Shkuey
    Living life one line of error free code at a time.

I personally only use a computer as a tool. I always try to make sure my grammer and spelling are correct. And i even do maths in my head (well try to do so)
    Computers (especially programming) requires a user to know even more maths.

So computers are good but it's the users that are bad
    [pong][gloworange]665[/gloworange] Next door to the [glowpurple]devil[/glowpurple][/pong]

Banned
    It seems people are under the impression that I am against computers....

I am totally FOR computers.... I just wanted to know what people thought of the subject
    (which most of you have done)

For my police testing, I had to do multiples tests, involving math, languages and social skills....

It is true that some cultures are different then others, like how Germany is more disciplined in the scholars....

Computers are a tool, but they have also made it where we have lost some of our skills....

It's true that every new technology has an effect on us....

no we do not turn our own butter, or cook or own bread, hell some people don't even cook anymore.... (microwave food anyone?)

But some people still try to remain with "old school" ways.....

It all depends on how someone allows the abuse of technology effect them....

But think about it? aren't we following the same path that has been layed out by films like Matrix and 1984? We are getting dependant on computers and once computers get an AI, will we be *****ed?

I agree in some ways that computers degrade humanity but I disagree in another. Sure people spend more time on computers then going with friends and such, and with spell checks and grammar checks people no longer have to think about how they are writing a word or a sentence.

On the other hand however computers have opened up a hole new dimension of thinking and has greatly helped the evolution of man. Without computers man would not be thinking about complex algorithims, or complicated physics. Nor would we be able to advance science very far.
    thinking........

We are getting dependant on computers and once computers get an AI, will we be *****ed?
    This is just my personal opinion, but, I don't believe it's possible to create "AI" in the way that people generally think of it. No system can produce a result that isn't programmed into it directly or indirectly, not even a human being. Sure someday we may be able to create a computer that is as complicated as the human mind, but if we could why would we make it as self serving as a human being? and if we did, why would we put any dependance on that machine? It would be like depending on another person for everything, you might be ok, but you might be completely screwed.
    -Shkuey
    Living life one line of error free code at a time.

I know this is a little bit off topic but I want to ask what is ap calculus? Some sort of homeworks you do on highschool or something like algebra or what? Could anyone explain?
    http://promote.opera.com/small/opera94x15.gif

[gloworange]Sun7dots[/gloworange]