Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Computers degrade human mentality

I can associate with this. It's not that I haven't forgotten how to interact, I just couldn't give a feck.
    But about the computers making you stupid thing. If anything, I find computers improve my use of the English language.

Originally posted here by Conf1rm3d_K1ll
    The only thing that's suffered for me are my social skills....or lack there of.

I spend so much time alone and online that I actually forget how to interact with people.

AP calc. is a very advanced math course you take in your senior year of American High School. If you pass the class and pass the Standardized test afterward, you get college credit. AP (advanced Placement) allowed me to finish in three years!!!!
    - Jimmy Mac

Replicants are like any technology, if there not a hazard, its not my problem....

Question

Originally posted here by jcmcb
    AP calc. is a very advanced math course you take in your senior year of American High School. If you pass the class and pass the Standardized test afterward, you get college credit. AP (advanced Placement) allowed me to finish in three years!!!!
    I really thank you for your information.. if I could have one more question - what kind of math do you do in AP calc? - algebra, math analysys (derivation, integration), statistics or what? Thanx in advance
    http://promote.opera.com/small/opera94x15.gif

[gloworange]Sun7dots[/gloworange]

people who can use their brain do use their brain. the rest have computers to help them threw the day. increasing the complexity of the task they can perform.
    while the number of people who do math manually has decreased drastically
    algorithmic thinkers has increased even more drastically. IMO computer are increasing the intelligence of the human race.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Banned
    Okay, now here's another point that I ponder....

SO far I agree with everyone.... I myself will stand loyal to my computer and defend it from all insults and accusations against it....

But... what about penmanship? Because we all get used to typing on a computer and writing notes in class at warp 2 (to catch all the things the teacher sais) would you not thing that the legibility of our handwritting might have suffered?

The last time I wrote in cursive was when I learnt it, now I write in simple hand to make it legible for people....

I do understand that some proffesions like doctors and lawyers are "expected" to have horrible handwriting and John Handcocks but have we lost our ability to write?

Now here's another point to ponder, if our handwritting has suffered, would the Palm be the answer? You have to use the stylus to do almost everything on that item, and if the Palm doesn't recognize what you wrote, it "assumes" something, causing you to pay more attention to how proper you write....

What do you think?

Well said Tyger_Claw. I for one know that I do not write in script anymore except to sign my name on stuff. Just because I can't write in script is infact unreadable [except for 2 people that I have met in my entire life]. And as for the palm aspect. Yep using a the stylus is in fact forcing me to pay more attention to what I write. Even in the note pad were you can scribble in script or in print I find that i have to be carefull how I write it.
    thinking........

Banned
    A perfect example!

Computers haf just made us lazy

HAHA Tyger_Claw. Ya, I totally screwed up the sentence structure in my last post. But I'm still for computers!!!
    thinking........

Banned
    I wouldn't say that computers made us lazy, just a little dependant on their functions.

I have noticed in a lot of people that doing something like basic math requires a calculator. How bad is it when you play cards and have to tabulate scores, and the score keeper needs a calculator to calculate things like 26 + 14?