malware at its worst
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: malware at its worst

malware at its worst

i've hear before about spyware that disables ad-aware, now check out this little baby.

Calling the tactic "malware at its worst," Lavasoft said its privacy software is being silently deleted when users install a third-party multimedia player.
    Newsbytes has confirmed that installing RadLight version 3.03 deletes Lavasoft's Ad-Aware program, as promised in a warning in the software's 1,100-word license agreement.

http://www.newsbytes.com/news/02/176075.html

these guys are really out of hand. Now their telling us what programs we're allowed to have on our computers. i hope this gets stopped in its tracks
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

This is sick. Under no circumstances should software delete other software without a yes/no message box.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Damn Tedob you beat me to it.

Good post
    savIRC :: The Multi-Platform IRC Client v. 1.8 [Released 9.04.02]

Actually ... I beat Tebob to it:

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...937#post501937

But let's not get picky ...

Cheers,

BrainStop
    "To estimate the time it takes to do a task, estimate the time you think it should take, multiply by two, and change the unit of measure to the next highest unit. Thus we allocate two days for a one-hour task." -- Westheimer's Rule

I remeber an early version of RealPlayer that use to change IE's homepage. I thought that was a little intrusive!

I'm sure there must be some form of legal action that LavaSoft will take....

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Having been a mirror for Radlight for the past four months (North American mirror #2), this is the absolute first time I've seen the people at Radlight do anything like this. They use SaveNow (which is targeted by Ad-Aware) to get money from ads and such (since this is made by a group of college guys with limited income). I don't blame them for using third-party utilities and such but since there's a check-box in the beginning allowing the user to NOT install SaveNow, etc, then it shouldn't be a problem. This means that the deletion occurs the first time you run Radlight (which is true, I've done it) and let me tell you, Ad-Aware is GONE. No folder, no registry entries no nothing...I'm working with these guys trying to figure out why it does that and why they put that in there. Will keep everyone posted.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

I don't mind the fact that Radlight ships with spyware, or targeted Ads. But what DOES bother me, is the fact that it uninstalls another program, without asking. Why couldn't they have simply made it so that it told the user, that they would have to remove Ad-Aware before continuing the install?

From a comment I read on slashdot about this story, it appears that Ad-Aware has already fixed this problem, on their end. Meaning that Radlight won't delete it. Take that with a grain of salt, cuz i haven't had time to check it out to see if it is true or not.
    savIRC :: The Multi-Platform IRC Client v. 1.8 [Released 9.04.02]

That's just plain wrong. Spyware is acceptable in programs, spyware that deletes other progs is not.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

yes.. this is alarming.. thanks BrainStop, Tedob1.. (i couldn't decide in which of the two threads to post my response.. but it seems that BrainStop is cheerful, so he won't mind that i picked this one.. )
    here is something that i saw posted at another forum.

Get AdAware Checker 1.01
    - Watches silently in the background until malicious (or potentially malicious) action is taken against Ad-Aware files. (The main Ad-Aware executable and the reflist.)
    - Is very small, and thus uses up little memory when running.
    - You can specify the scanning interval.
    - Checks for changes to files - not just if the files get deleted. (So rogue programs can't delete themselves from the Ad- Aware reference list so they aren't detected.)

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/aawchecker.html

Ad-Aware Reference file 108-23-04-02 .This update targets Radlight (22 Kb)

http://www.bagpipes.net/files/lavasoft/reflist.zip

(cheers to you, Brainstop...)

Thumbs up

Once again your computer becomes a battleground
    between rival software companies.

• IE vs Netscape
    • Norton vs Mcaffee
    • Tyson vs Holyfield

stay tuned...
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.