Thread: MS Personal Folders Encyption

Hi mom!

Exclamation MS Personal Folders Encyption

We use a Microsoft Exchange mailserver here at work, users use Outlook. Most of the users create Personal Folders ( .pst ) to save mail.

One of our users is going on a rather long trip, and wants to take a laptop with him. One of his collegues showed him how to export .pst and import it on his laptop, but something clearly went wrong.

At the time they rang me for help, they somehow managed to delete all original content , leaving them with one .pst which holds all data. The problem is that someone encrypted the file, and the password they say to have used isn't accepted anymore. My guess is that they used another password altogether, but fact is that the original password was lost. I tried all different combinations of the password I could come up with, combined with anticipating errors, nothing worked.

So, I'm stuck here with an encrypted .pst, which holds this guys complete mail archive (200MB+). Does anyone in here know how to bruteforce, hack, change, reset, delete or recover that password - or any other method to get back into this file? Please, help me out here.
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

copy the file onto a 250Mb zip disk....obtain a 3 foot length of sturdy string...tie the zip disk securely to one end of the string...stand approx. 2 ft from user....strike repeatedly with zip disk

or you can go here..
    http://www.elcomsoft.com/prs.html

btw...smack yerself one for not googling this yerself...
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

Hi mom!
    You're suggesting beating the information out of the user? I tried that, didn't work...

AOLPR, that actually worked! Thanks a bunch!

Oh, and about that 'beating myself'-part....

I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

Talking

YO, what a hoot, this was definitely a planet-spanning problem...
    A techie from the Netherlands has a user that locks up the company mail and then throws away the key...
    One of our super-techies from the U.S. sends the techie from Netherlands over to Moscow to get the Russians to unlock his mailbox...
    Now, that's what I call planetary cooperation. The cold war seems definitely dead

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    lol...most definatly but remember places dont mean anything on the net cyberspace is its own realm :P
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" — G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    lol...most definatly but remember places dont mean anything on the net cyberspace is its own realm :P
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" — G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"