3Com puts firewall on an NIC
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3Com puts firewall on an NIC

3Com puts firewall on an NIC

Came across this article on here
    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2109150,00.html

Having a fire wall in NIC is an interning idea but I don’t see it catching on any time soon.

“Firewalls built into network interface cards help offload work from the processors of desktop PCs, and aid centralized security”

Maybe it’s just me but with the current speed of processors who cares if the firewall eats up 10MHz

“Although Intel also has a NIC that does encryption-offload, 3Com business development manger, James Walker said that the 3CR990 is the first to include a firewall. The NIC costs $120 list price, and the embedded firewall is another $50 for each client. The policy server costs $1000. “

With those prices it’s going to be hard to compete with a $13 NIC card and a free software firewall.

That’s just my 2cents maybe someone who sets up networks for a living could offer more insight.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Thanks !

Quite interesting article, I wish I could find more information about the product from 3Com themself, I could only find the "crypto" nic listed.

ive read, great idea.
    But give me a practicle use for it

If you tell me Curiosity Killed the cat,
    Then I say he died a noble death.

Wonderful Idea.. I guess. I don't really see this as being the alternative needed for most business needs, and less likely still for the end user. I somehow think that writing my own rules using ipfw add in a script will offer me a little more versatility.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

nice stuff. =)
    my pages: (great resources for everyone)
    geeksarecool.com resource for computers, hacking, virii, wutnot.
    thepillbox.net archive of logs and resource for laughter.
    --enjoy these pages, as they grow.

Damn....i had that idea months ago.....
    I toor\'d YOU!

Obviously no on e is a network admin here, otherwise you'd see the reason that this kicks ass. (If it's done properly). When dealing with a large environment, you are your own worst enemy. I actually worry less about external threats, for the most part, and am more concerned with the sales guys or the engineers screwing around with test tools. So this would be a great asset. (Of course, price is an issue.)
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Maybe in a few years you will be able to get a NIC with a firewall built in for just a little more then a normal NIC.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

God, if the users in my office had that... What a freakin headache I would have......
    "I cant see this page, RealPlayer is not working..., All I did was........,

ouch.

Then you need to learn how to setup firewall policies. It'd be great if there wasn't an app or service they could shut off.(like it is now) I mean really, you'd be able to enforce your corporate policy across all desktops at all times. C'mon, that's great.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson