WinXP/Linux Dual Boot

Thread: WinXP/Linux Dual Boot

WinXP/Linux Dual Boot

Hey guys, Iím very new to this site, but I have been working with computers for about 8 years, so I do know a couple of things. I was just curious though since noone I know has done this yet, can you make a dual boot with Windows XP (Home Edition) and Linux? I'm trying to get started with Linux but Iím still not sure if it's for me or not yet. Also, any recommendations on which distro to get for it? Right now I am reading the Sams Teach Yourself Linux in 24 Hours, and that came with Red Hat 5.0, but Iíve heard that Mandrake is fairly good for newbieís such as me. Thanks for all your help.
    \"But I don\'t want to go among mad people,\" Alice remarked.
    \"Oh, you can\'t help that,\" said the Cat: \"we\'re all mad here. I\'m mad. You\'re mad.\"
    \"How do you know I\'m mad?\" said Alice.
    \"You must be,\" said the Cat, \"or you wouldn\'t have come here.\"

Snohomish WA
    I tried to set up a dual boot with my Home edition of Windows XP and Mandrake Linux 7.2.
    Linux ate my windows, I couldn't log onto windows at all....linux booted no matter what. I ended up having to re-install windows.
    I think I messed up on the installation process and am at fault in this error...I will be trying again very soon and look forward to hearing about any problems you may encounter in your endeaver.

Good luck

If you want to make God laugh....make plans.

Well, I don't know much about Linux/Unix at all really (hopefully will learn soon though), but I did install Windows XP Pro and Red Hat Linux 7.1 successfully on my computer. I installed Windows first, taking advice from members here, and it worked fine.

Just make a seperate partition for your Windows OS and a seperate one for Linux and it should all be sweet.

Good luck,
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

Yes u can boot windows xp with linux.I have RH 7.1 and winxp(professional).I first had win98,then i upgraded to problems at all.choose a diff partition for linux.Linux native partition is best.Linux on Fat32 sucks....Good luck.