Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building new computer

Unhappy Building new computer

What's up everyone, i just had a general question for y'all. I'm planning on building a new computer (the one i have in my profile) and i'm still not sure what kinda hard drive i wanna get, anyone have any suggestions on who the best maker of hd's are. I'm only looking to purchase one drive, no raid setup here, and i'm not looking for anything more than 80GB. Thanks for the input.
    \"But I don\'t want to go among mad people,\" Alice remarked.
    \"Oh, you can\'t help that,\" said the Cat: \"we\'re all mad here. I\'m mad. You\'re mad.\"
    \"How do you know I\'m mad?\" said Alice.
    \"You must be,\" said the Cat, \"or you wouldn\'t have come here.\"

Banned
    IMHO You should choose either Maxtor or Western Digital... They make the best hard drives out there.....

Cgate or western digital, Ibm is good too.
    I toor\'d YOU!

I've had two fujitsu's, and haven't had a problem.

I have one IBM 40 gig Deskstar; but haven't had a problem like most other people are reporting.
    Seagate is one of the very best, but they are expensive, and i'm not sure if they do IDE.

I have; and is still working, a Western Digital Caviar 31200, 1281.9 mb. - Sure don't make 'em like they used too This drive was built 1995.
    savIRC :: The Multi-Platform IRC Client v. 1.8 [Released 9.04.02]

I'm currently running 4 40GB IBM Deskstars on one machine, and 4 30GB Quantum AS30's on another. I've had no troubles with any of these devices. The only downside I've had with the quantums was that I originally had some difficulties getting them to read on the Raid controller, but that was more than likely user error.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

Thanks all i'm sure i'll have more questions later about my next computer, i'm still relatively poor at the terminology for everything, but i'm sure i'll get the hang of it sooner or later. More than likely i will be getting a western digital, that's what i got for my old computer when we upgraded it and i still haven't heard anything bad about them.
    \"But I don\'t want to go among mad people,\" Alice remarked.
    \"Oh, you can\'t help that,\" said the Cat: \"we\'re all mad here. I\'m mad. You\'re mad.\"
    \"How do you know I\'m mad?\" said Alice.
    \"You must be,\" said the Cat, \"or you wouldn\'t have come here.\"

yeah western digital is the overall fastest for the same RPM of a drive at reading and writing
    Search First Ask Second. www.google.com

a hard drive is a hard drive, once it's in your machine you'll never be able to tell one from the other. i've always been able to get western digitals and maxtors at the best prices and have yet to have any problems.

word of warning: if you're buying your parts online, stay away from oem....especially for something mechanical like a drive.
    U suk at teh intuhnet1!!1!1one

I got a 40GB Seagate and it's all working fine, I have no problems with it. Mind you, I've only had it for about 2-3 months or so, so it hasn't had a long life yet, but hopefully it'll last a few more decades...centuries...

Anyways, check this link out, it's got some good reviews and could help you pick out which you end up getting:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/index.html

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

yeah my wd, is pretty much below 65° (degrees) F all day. =) this is how ya doo it.

take some legos, get a fan, a nice big powerful fan from an old computer..

and put the fan ontop of legos that are on top of your hd.

my hd> click this picture =)

..enjoy
    http://www.geeksarecool.com/legos.php
    my pages: (great resources for everyone)
    geeksarecool.com resource for computers, hacking, virii, wutnot.
    thepillbox.net archive of logs and resource for laughter.
    --enjoy these pages, as they grow.