Thread: W2k Terminal Server

W2k Terminal Server

My situation:
    I am running W2k Terminal Server in admin mode along with IIS and TSAC so that I can log into my machine using IE from any location. It works great from anywhere except my work, which I find out is running a firewall.

Terminal Services runs by default on port 3389. Is there a way to change that to a port I can reach from work? Or is there a way around the firewall?

thx!!

(be gentle, this is my first post)

try looking in winnt\system32\drivers\ets\services if its listed here you can change it, if not search the reg.

if that dosn't do it...im stumped.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Ahh...behold the power of the google.

First result:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q187623

jezter6 uda man!
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Why would his firewall not allow access if hes inside his intranet
    exspecialy if its allowing him to do it from the outside it dosent seem like the firewall to me but then again i could be wrong

If you tell me Curiosity Killed the cat,
    Then I say he died a noble death.

I'm assuming the Terminal Server is a machine at a remote site (most likely at home on cable or something).

If you're good friends with the admin, he may be willing to open that port up for your IP only to go out over. I've had to do that for a few people here that need to get certain outside programs to work.

Does TSAC use the default port of 3889, or is it encapsulated in HTTP. I thought one of the reasons for this client was so that it would work over a standard web port. Are you sure that it isn't something else on the network that is blocking active content?

There is a way to change the port, I don't know what it is.

It is much trickier on the (normal) client though.

The TSAC does *NOT* tunnel TS through HTTP or anything rediculous like that, it's just an ActiveX control. The connection still comes from the originating computer and goes to the server through the normal protocol on the normal port number, it doesn't go *via* the TSAC machine (hence if the TSAC is in a DMZ you can't use it to bypass the firewall)

Changing the port number works; I've used servers with non-std port numbers. Setting the client up involves registry hacks. Dunno about the server.