Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3 Hdd

Originally posted here by lench
    im doing teh same thing
    hdd1 -> hdd2
    cdrom -> hdd3
    too bad windows doesnt like them all and wont shut down properly
    This probably isn't a Windows problem, as I have an identical setup on a Windows98 system at home (except mine is hdd3 -> cdrom). And the hdd3 is also of 1995 vintage - don't use it to keep anything important on - just additional backups of data.

yeah thats what i use it for anyway
    --=::[ LeNc}{ ]::=-- stealing your time for pathetic web sites since 1998

Banned
    You should buy a Hard Drive Controler at Best Buy or Staples..... An HDD Controller is like a 3rd IDE port plugged right into PCI

You can hook up a hdd instead of a cdrom notice there are 2 ide cabels comming from your motherbord?they are the same you can hookup cdrom drives,writers,dvd's,hdd everything you want to
    hip hop rules

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Many computers come with a cable to only attach 1 drive, but like acid said, you can buy a "Hard Drive Controler" cable at most computing stores.

The machines that they are talking about that only support IDE, and 2 HD's are at least 15 years old now, so unles you are trying to upgrade an original 386 (or older), That shouldn't be the case.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Banned
    I did not mean a hard drive cable, I meant a seperate Hard Drive Controller that plugs into your PCI port, Its acts like another IDE bus

http://www.techdepot.com/product.asp...730&affid=2165

Make sure that you put the hard drive that you plan on using the lest on the Hard Drive Controller (sometimes called an i/o card) because you can take a big performance hit depending on the card and the hard drive.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Guys, keep in mind that on some boards they have an onboard IDE RAID controller with extra connections, thus giving you the possibility of having 8 IDE devices (I have 5 @home: 3 HDDs, DVD, CD-RW).
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

wont having a controller card cause a conflict in the hardware?
    --=::[ LeNc}{ ]::=-- stealing your time for pathetic web sites since 1998

it won't cause a conflict because the hdd will be recognized as a pci device not an ide.