Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fake Klez Immunity Tool

Fake Klez Immunity Tool

I got this is my e-mail this morning. I think it is a fake immunity tool offer that contains the Klez. I got the same message from two different people, and Norton Anti-virus alerted on both of them.
    ///////////////////////////////////E-mail message/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Klez.E is the most common world-wide spreading worm.It's very dangerous by corrupting your files.
    Because of its very smart stealth and anti-anti-virus technic,most common AV software can't detect or clean it.
    We developed this free immunity tool to defeat the malicious virus.
    You only need to run this tool once,and then Klez will never come into your PC.
    NOTE: Because this tool acts as a fake Klez to fool the real worm,some AV monitor maybe cry when you run it.
    If so,Ignore the warning,and select 'continue'.
    If you have any question,please mail to me.
    /////////////////////////////////////////////////////End of E-mail//////////////////////////////////////////////////

I think this is a fake for these reasons:

1)I got it from two different addresses.
    2)Reputable companies don't send out free tools in e-mail.

I know this wouldn't fool any older hands, but I thought I would post in just in case someone didn't know any better.

They say, "If so, ignore the warning, and select 'continue.'

Yeah, right. And then you'll no doubt try to sell me the Brooklyn Bridge.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Banned
    I think it is fake. But by doing that would be a slick way of getting it to ur system.

This is probably just their clever little way of making you run the virus. I've never seen this Social Engineering tactic before.

i got something similar....

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...&postid=501220

if you check out the symantec write up on you can see it's pretty good at trying to fool you...it forges From addresses, creates randomly selected phrases which "almost" make sense...masquerades as bounced mail...and of course the removal tool...

another clue here is the grammar...

Because of its very smart stealth and anti-anti-virus technic,

if we get a virus writer who can write proper sentences...look out...
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

Sometimes i wonder if people will just give up.......
    I toor\'d YOU!

LoL. That's right Zigar, I guess bad grammar and spelling errors are a dead give away. A reputable business or individual trying to distribute a legitimate product would probably go to the trouble of spell checking and getting a proof reader.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Security companies do not massmail tools to customers. If you get an e-mail from your AV vendor (or some other security company) stating that it's a patch or somekind of a trojan removal tool, the e-mail is most likely forged.

If you have explicitly asked company to post you this stuff, then it's of course different...

- karnevil9

On one hand, it looks like a fake.

On the other hand, I subscribe to a particular ListServ. I bet that at least one chowderhead on that list will receive a like email and run the program.

Hi mom!
    We got the exact same message in the univ. faculty where I work. When I contacted the university's network security, they said they had seen dozens of these mails. I don't know where they were sent on the other adresses, but at our faculty, the mail arrived at an emailadress starting with info@ ...
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

One was from an "@infospace.com" address; the other was from "@Aol.com"