Thread: Image size attributes

Image size attributes

I noticed that not a single image here at AntiOnline has got the width or height attributes at their HTML-tags. I believe that adding these would improve the page rendering time quite much.
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25

I agree, all images not generated on-the-fly should have the height and widht attributes, it's bad enough having to download all the images on a 56k connection without waiting ages for the page to render as well.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

str34m3r
    While you are correct that adding width and height tags would help some browsers, it doesn't aply to everyone. Some other browsers just go ahead render the page with a default image size until the image actually loads and then resizes accordingly. As an example, I'm using Mozilla for linux and it seems to be working just fine.

str34m3r, that's my point, rendering the default size and then resizing it is much slower than rendering it to the right size at once. And I believe all the browsers that can show images do this.
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25

str34m3r
    Sorry, must not have made myself clear. I agree that the page will render faster (in any browser) if the image attributes are present. I wasn't disagreeing with that. My point was that pwaring's 56K connection wouldn't affect every browser. Some browsers wait until they have all of the images' attributes before rendering the page. It's stupid, but they do it anyway. I wasn't trying to argue your point.

Of course my 56k connection wouldn't affect every browser, I was just pointing out that sometimes AO can be slow enough as it is, without having to wait for each page to render as well!

The vast majority of browsers download the HTML page, render tables, leave space for images and then request all the images, in that order. Since AO has lots of nested tables and images without the correct attributes, it can take ages to render in some browsers, particulary if you have a slow computer (e.g. Pentium 200).
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.