Thread: Article: We're Watching You (SilentRunner)

Article: We're Watching You (SilentRunner)

Looks like "advancements" in corporate Spyware, from your friends at Raytheon.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2002Apr24.html

For workers goofing off on the job - or worse - the software is downright scary. Loaded onto a laptop, it runs undetected. Twenty five algorithms map out how a network is being used - from keeping tabs on intellectual property down to every e-mail, every Web site visited and the location and make of computers logged on remotely. The software translates huge amounts of data into simple illustrations to help network administrators spot trouble.
    Good news? It's pricy and, of course, doesn't replace or really augment firewall systems (and large customers may require multiple licenses at $65k a pop plus $13k/yr maintenance).
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

str34m3r
    I've seen a demo of this software, and I wasn't all that impressed. It was interesting to note that management loved the demo, but none of the analysts did. Unfortunately, the software generates plenty of pretty graphs that appeal to management, but had little in the way of real content that an analyst needs to do real intrusion detection. And as for the example that the article gave, you could do the exact same job with free software like snort and save yourself 65,000 dollars.

There is no one tool for security so don't let anyone sell you one.
    $65k+ for IDS... no thanks.
    A squirrel with no nuts will soon starve.

Well, it kinda sounded like a "new" version of something like Sun's old Net Manager program from years and years ago... in any case, I tend to scoff at high-priced IDS systems - and most of the ones that "look real purty" (sic) tend to aimed at management weanies and big five consultants, anyway.
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

Interesting replies. I haven't seen a tool that comes close to what SilentRunner does for
    monitoring internal data flow.

I'd love to know what you people have seen/used ?

sounds more like the 21 century version of the sweat shops of the 1900's the an ids
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

At $65k I better get a fee lunch box and t-shirt.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Originally posted here by gwax
    Interesting replies. I haven't seen a tool that comes close to what SilentRunner does for
    monitoring internal data flow.

I'd love to know what you people have seen/used ?

Good point. People are trying to compare this to a firewall type IDS system, which it is not. If it were, it's biggest competitors would have been ISS, etc..

Also, 65k for a software license is not that much for a large company. Nor is the 13k a year support. The support agreement between my employer and a major software company is normally over 500k a year.

As far as that software goes. You know who should have it loaded? Those dumba$$e$ over at the FBI. They can't even keep track of their hardware.
    America - Land of the free, home of the brave.